MPG took a dive...?

smashweights

So i normally get about 49 to 50 MPG on my 2004 R6, but this season i've not gotten above 44 and I really dont think my riding style or habits have changed. Mostly commuting miles. All I've really done since last season was change the oil from Motul 5100 to AMSOIL (both 10w40) and used some SeaFoam in the old oil before the change. I also changed from a K&N to Mobil 1 oil filter. Should I really be seeing this big of a dive in MPG? I'll likely go back to the 5100 on my next oil change.

Right now the fuel is still formulated for winter use, it will change up soon. Or already has changed. That should change the MPG. And air filter. Springtime is dirty time on the roads, and the air filter gets hit hard.

When you say commute....how far? Probably too much time on the choke and running cold. I know that when I go on long rides I average high 50's, commuting I get High 30's. Bike not up to temp and stuck in traffic.

The gas is a maybe, i dont remember what i was getting this time last year but i think it was fine then as this is the first time i've seen it dip low. The commuting is all about 18 miles of riding each way so plenty of warm-up time. This is the first time i've put seafoam in the tank too. Hell, even when i first bought the bike and it had nasty ass oil in it, it was gettin about 50. and I am worried about it cause i like getting 170 miles per tank instead of 135. it's annoying

The gas is a maybe, i dont remember what i was getting this time last year but i think it was fine then as this is the first time i've seen it dip low. The commuting is all about 18 miles of riding each way so plenty of warm-up time. This is the first time i've put seafoam in the tank too. Hell, even when i first bought the bike and it had nasty ass oil in it, it was gettin about 50. and I am worried about it cause i like getting 170 miles per tank instead of 135. it's annoying

i just gave up and started filling up around 100-120 miles...still better gas mileage than the alternative. it is a supersport bike youre riding after all...not an economobile.

i just gave up and started filling up around 100-120 miles...still better gas mileage than the alternative. it is a supersport bike youre riding after all...not an economobile.

quite the contrary, i loved bragging about having a vehicle that was faster than a sportscar and gets better mileage than a prius (which it no longer is at 44 mpg). i guess we'll see next oil change if the amsoil is somehow bogging it down. not that i doubt it's good oil, but at $16 qt. vs. $9, i'll be getting the Motul.

quite the contrary, i loved bragging about having a vehicle that was faster than a sportscar and gets better mileage than a prius (which it no longer is at 44 mpg). i guess we'll see next oil change if the amsoil is somehow bogging it down. not that i doubt it's good oil, but at $16 qt. vs. $9, i'll be getting the Motul.

pro tip: mobil1 4t racing is $9 at autozone. :D

yeah, i considered the mobil 1 4t and seen it at AZ, but i've heard mixed reviews about it. Motul stuff has always been highly regarded. I think, and correct me if i'm wrong, but Mobil 1 is class III PAO oil and 5100 is dino + class IV ester-based.

So i normally get about 49 to 50 MPG on my 2004 R6, but this season i've not gotten above 44 and I really dont think my riding style or habits have changed. Mostly commuting miles. All I've really done since last season was change the oil from Motul 5100 to AMSOIL (both 10w40) and used some SeaFoam in the old oil before the change. I also changed from a K&N to Mobil 1 oil filter. Should I really be seeing this big of a dive in MPG? I'll likely go back to the 5100 on my next oil change.

This may be a stupid suggestion, but have you checked your tire pressure? I don't think it would make that much of a difference, but you never know.