Saltwater fish tankers???

Putty

So I was told I should invest in a phosphate reactor. I do not have any corals. I have a few anemones and really don't see myself getting into corals...maybe one day. I test my water about every 2 weeks. I rarely have to do water changes. I let the water get pretty low in my sump from evaporation then I add about 5 gallons, which I use as "water changes". My water parameters just stay good. The reactor was suggested just to make sure all my levels stay where they need to be and I don't have to check as frequently.

Thoughts?

Tank after rebuild a month or so ago after major ich outbreak that wiped out everything.

If you let your water evaporate 5 gallons then just add 5 gallons of water. Then you are doing it wrong.

When water evaporates the salt does not evaporate with it. So topping off with saltwater will change your salinity levels. Topping off with RO water would be fine. But then you are not actually changing any water at all.

Doing a actual saltwater change of 5 gallons per week. Removing 5 gallons of saltwater and replacing 5 gallons of saltwater. Will help bring back some of the calcium and other important nutrients your fish and corals need to survive. Which will also allow you to manually remove some waste from the tank in the process.

I have always been led to believe that if you have a phosphate problem one of the first thing you will notice is algae growth. Your tank looks pretty algae free. I dont even see coraline algae. I would not start buying things to make tank perform better until you know exactly what the problem is.

If you let your water evaporate 5 gallons then just add 5 gallons of water. Then you are doing it wrong.

When water evaporates the salt does not evaporate with it. So topping off with saltwater will change your salinity levels. Topping off with RO water would be fine. But then you are not actually changing any water at all.

I know the salt stays in there. I have an RO/DI that I put straight RO water in the tank. It's 5 gallons of new water, how is that not like a water change?

Doing a actual saltwater change of 5 gallons per week. Removing 5 gallons of saltwater and replacing 5 gallons of saltwater. Will help bring back some of the calcium and other important nutrients your fish and corals need to survive. Which will also allow you to manually remove some waste from the tank in the process.

I do this maybe once every other month if that. I also dose calcium. My calcium hovers around 480.

I have always been led to believe that if you have a phosphate problem one of the first thing you will notice is algae growth. Your tank looks pretty algae free. I dont even see coraline algae. I would not start buying things to make tank perform better until you know exactly what the problem is.

I have coraline growing on the glass like crazy...I scrub it off every chance I get. No, I do not have a problem, but I was told getting that will prevent me from having that problem.

I know the salt stays in there. I have an RO/DI that I put straight RO water in the tank. It's 5 gallons of new water, how is that not like a water change?

Cause you are not removing any water. The water evaporated but you did not remove any of the impurities left behind. Manually doing a small water change removing 5 gallons of saltwater and putting 5 gallons back in is one of the best things you can do for your tank.

It removes impurities as well as restores natural things in the water you need to keep your tank healthy.

I have ran saltwater tanks for past 4 years and never had a problem that I could not solve with a water change. I dont see the need for over complicating a rather simple natural process. If you get into high end corals and high end lighting then I would worry about phosphate reactors and calciums reactors. But just a very simple setup like you have I dont see a need for you having any extra things to monitor.

You dont need it....like he said phosphates lead to algae. You need to bump up your calcium though to get your coraline going.

What caused you ich breakout? New fish?

My calcium is around 480. What's too high? Yes, I ordered a queen and blue angel off the webz...like a damn dummy, I did not QT them. The blue angel was a bitch trying to get to eat. Eventually ich came and wiped all my shit. I totally emptied the tank, sump, etc..cleaned with bleach. Put all my LR in straight RO water for several days. Killed off most of my coraline. Refilled the tank, let it cycle, bought new livestock...that you now see. No issues!

My calcium is around 480. What's too high? Yes, I ordered a queen and blue angel off the webz...like a damn dummy, I did not QT them. The blue angel was a bitch trying to get to eat. Eventually ich came and wiped all my shit. I totally emptied the tank, sump, etc..cleaned with bleach. Put all my LR in straight RO water for several days. Killed off most of my coraline. Refilled the tank, let it cycle, bought new livestock...that you now see. No issues!

350-450 ppm on calcium. At 550 ppm I think that a aquarium starts "snowing".

So at 480 ppm you are a little high on calcium. I would try to lower that by increasing your alk a lil bit.

One of the things I read was to not use bleach but rather amonia.

Bleach was suggested to me. I was hesitant to use anything. Was told bleach was just fine. Has been fine.

I had a tank for years when renting. Every year I moved, I took my water with me in 55g trash cans.

So at 480 ppm you are a little high on calcium. I would try to lower that by increasing your alk a lil bit.

What increases Alk?

Bleach was suggested to me. I was hesitant to use anything. Was told bleach was just fine. Has been fine.

I had a tank for years when renting. Every year I moved, I took my water with me in 55g trash cans.

What increases Alk?

I used to use a 2 part dosing system. I will check the name of it when I get home and post it up for you.