One Survival Rifle

Hwilli1647545487

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M14.

My brothers FN FAL is the most fun weapon I've fired to date. Love the power, don't like the weight/size of the mofo.

You got that right. They are big, heavy battle rifles.

You should feel how heavy they are with the metal bipod, Trilux SUIT, and a fully loaded 30 round magazine! Good thing it has a carry handle...lol.

Stg58 with Israeli Trilux SUIT

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/Firearms/stg58/IMG_2300.jpg

Anyone have any strong reasons to suggest an M1A over the FNAR?

I know with some modifications you can get the M1A scout to to under 40". The Sub MOA of the FNAR is attractive though and I've heard it comes in lighter with a fully loaded magazine and optics than the M1A.

Depends on what you're looking for. My M1A Scout is the best of all worlds when it comes down to a rifle. .30 caliber cartridge, 20 round magazine, robust, accurate enough, and is short enough to be quite handy. I didn't buy the rifle to smack 1,000 yard plates, but the 7.62X51mm will reach out beyond the 300 meter range with force. It says something about the weapon when it has to be dusted off and brought back into service.

I wanted to see where this thread would go, so I waited a few pages.

Take what you are comfortable and confident with.

I like an AR platform and also see a 12 gauge as a make sense weapon. SHTF, I am taking both. AR is my first go to though. Chambered to .308; I like it for power. But, I would take a 5.56 for ammo, weight, and common parts.

Those of you saying Mosin, I just can't get that. Other than they are a dirt cheap 7.62, they are almost one of the last guns I would go for. It's 36" long and heavy as hell! Slow rate of fire= not worthy. There are a lot of them, but I don't see it being the weapon you come across to be able to really call it common. If it happens to be in the area and I run out of ammo, I would go for it. But, no way am I lugging that PITA around. Shotgun would be way before this. Very few people are conditioned to carry this damn this for a long period of time.

The 10/22, I love it, but can't justify grabbing it first. Just not enough stopping power. I'm thinking in the means of having to penetrate soft skin material, like house walls or common cars. I love it for hunting and not having to use a higher caliber, and the abundance of the ammo.

Jesse already said it. Travel light. You'll be so tired from carrying all that shit, if you have to fight, you'll have no energy to defend yourself. Think realistic to your abilities and that you are on foot for a long period of time. Most people would struggle carrying 30lbs for a long distance. Pack your bag with what you want, then weight it. I bet most would be suprise how heavy things get, quick.

I love you, but you contradict yourself. You say travel light, but you say bring both guns?

Best plan I have read is to have your primary gun, and a back up 12 gauge long gun you can give to someone who is untrained (gf/wife, etc)

I love you, but you contradict yourself. You say travel light, but you say bring both guns?

Best plan I have read is to have your primary gun, and a back up 12 gauge long gun you can give to someone who is untrained (gf/wife, etc)

I love you, but you contradict yourself. You want to stay alive, but you bring someone who is untrained (gf/wife, etc)?

:dumb:

My primary will be in my hand or slung. Shotty will be strapped to the pack. My "light" and your "light" are going to be different. My extra 5-10lbs I can work with. I can see where this sounds contradictive. I based it off what I know I can carry. Situation will always dictate, but for the most part, that's how I would roll

I agree with having it for someone who hasn't trained with a weapon much.

Yeah, because 223 and 12 gauge ammo will be laying all over the streets in an emergency... Oh wait, I also have .45, that will be laying in the streets too so I'm covered!

Everyone has their different ideas on this but the fact is it is WAY more likely to find .223/5.56, 12 gauge, .22lr, etc.

Not that I will be relying on finding ammo to survive, but should I need to my caliber SHIT guns are all more common calibers.

No no, it will be laying in the streets! Shoot 556!!!! You can loot your local walmart and get it! Or steal it from your neighbor, or find it on all the dead bodies that will be laying around!

Or just get a bunch of whatever you shoot and stop being a speculating pussy / internet survival warrior.