One Survival Rifle

Hwilli1647545487

AR-7 is a neat thing to store in a tight space, I'd love to shoot one sometime.

Going to have to choose either Mosin: sorta common, can be a hand to hand weapon with the bayonet (also cooking utensil) or stock. Just low capacity and slow.

Probably Ruger 10/22 too.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to see where this thread would go, so I waited a few pages.

Take what you are comfortable and confident with.

I like an AR platform and also see a 12 gauge as a make sense weapon. SHTF, I am taking both. AR is my first go to though. Chambered to .308; I like it for power. But, I would take a 5.56 for ammo, weight, and common parts.

Those of you saying Mosin, I just can't get that. Other than they are a dirt cheap 7.62, they are almost one of the last guns I would go for. It's 36" long and heavy as hell! Slow rate of fire= not worthy. There are a lot of them, but I don't see it being the weapon you come across to be able to really call it common. If it happens to be in the area and I run out of ammo, I would go for it. But, no way am I lugging that PITA around. Shotgun would be way before this. Very few people are conditioned to carry this damn this for a long period of time.

The 10/22, I love it, but can't justify grabbing it first. Just not enough stopping power. I'm thinking in the means of having to penetrate soft skin material, like house walls or common cars. I love it for hunting and not having to use a higher caliber, and the abundance of the ammo.

Jesse already said it. Travel light. You'll be so tired from carrying all that shit, if you have to fight, you'll have no energy to defend yourself. Think realistic to your abilities and that you are on foot for a long period of time. Most people would struggle carrying 30lbs for a long distance. Pack your bag with what you want, then weight it. I bet most would be suprise how heavy things get, quick.

Been thinking about this some more. How about an 1894 Marlin? It's fairly light for carrying about, you can go with hotter .357 loads for larger game and self defense, you can run light .38 Special loads for small game...

Or a semi-auto 20ga with slug and shot barrels. 20 will get you a deer just as well at close range, and (arguably) has better long-range performance. Buck and birdshot are only slightly less effective than 12ga, but you can carry more ammo.

Been thinking about this some more. How about an 1894 Marlin? It's fairly light for carrying about, you can go with hotter .357 loads for larger game and self defense, you can run light .38 Special loads for small game...

To expand this thought....

Lever Rifle + SA Revolver in the same Caliber (357, 44, 45LC)? Some Hot, Some Not. Fills all Rolls...... Able to be reloaded. Common enough....

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Jesse already said it. Travel light.

I am pretty impressed with the size and weight of the M6 Scout and Survival AR-7. I didn't know that anything like that existed. I wouldn't blame someone for carrying that in certain situations, but you'd be very, very unlikely to find me carrying it around.

Like Joe said, I'm still curious about the Mosin pick. As far as bolt rifles are concerned, it's far from a great rifle. A 1903 Springfield, K98 Mauser (any Mauser for that matter), or some of the British .303 Enfield rifles are a better option. For $100, sure the Mosin looks good, but it's sure not great by anymeans. But then again, I'm not a peasant rifle fan.

I am pretty impressed with the size and weight of the M6 Scout and Survival AR-7. I didn't know that anything like that existed. I wouldn't blame someone for carrying that in certain situations, but you'd be very, very unlikely to find me carrying it around.

I like the consept of both of those set ups. Very purpose built and functional. I can't say they would be a "go to first". But amn, if I found one, I would be pretty pumped.

Very well built Kalashnikov rifle chambered for the 7.62 NATO cartridge. AK reliability, accurate enough, powerful cartridge with a huge variety of bullet types, compact side folding stock, easy to carry with sling (not pictured), flip up night sights, accepts a wide variety of optics with a quick release lever mount (also not pictured), adjustable gas system, muzzle brake that doubles as a grenade launcher...what more could you need? ;)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/Firearms/Galil_329/IMG_3643.jpg

Very well built Kalashnikov rifle chambered for the 7.62 NATO cartridge. AK reliability, accurate enough, powerful cartridge with a huge variety of bullet types, compact side folding stock, easy to carry with sling (not pictured), flip up night sights, accepts a wide variety of optics with a quick release lever mount (also not pictured), adjustable gas system, muzzle brake that doubles as a grenade launcher...what more could you need? ;)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/Firearms/Galil_329/IMG_3643.jpg

I like it but prob wouldn't choose choose it as my SHTF rifle.

Is there any reason not to get a bullpup design? Seems you get the advantages of a long barrel rifle while still being able to carry it around somewhat easily.

The FNH FS2000 wouldn't be a bad choice other than parts, its 5.56 and uses AR mags if I recall. But I don't know about there reliability and I already have an AR and AK.

Is there any reason not to get a bullpup design? Seems you get the advantages of a long barrel rifle while still being able to carry it around somewhat easily.

They are handy and would be easy to carry around. This is the Norinco Type 86, which is a Chinese made AKM. It's chambered for the 7.62x39 round and uses standard AK mags.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/Firearms/86S/IMG_2000.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any strong reasons to suggest an M1A over the FNAR?

I know with some modifications you can get the M1A scout to to under 40". The Sub MOA of the FNAR is attractive though and I've heard it comes in lighter with a fully loaded magazine and optics than the M1A.

Haven't read this whole thread and prob won't. With that being said I risk a repost...yet don't care. :)

What about an o/u like the Savage 24f? Choose the rifle and shotgun caliber of your choice. Pretty versatile.

Aren't those break apart single shot? Also good luck finding replacement parts.

Aren't those break apart single shot? Also good luck finding replacement parts.

I believe so. To be honest I haven't looked into them a lot. Makes sense now that you mentioned it. Haha.

Good luck finding parts for anything. Haven't you watched 'Book of Eli'? LOL