paying off credit cards...

SRTurbo04

I'm trying to figure this out myself Paul. I'm in a position where my tax return will pay off my 3 credit cards. After that I plan on getting rid of them and use the Dave Ramsey style "emergency fund" credit card, where basically you set aside $1000 or however much, and use that as an interest free credit card of sorts, where if you have to dip in to it you pay yourself back ASAP.

If anything, keep one card and just pay it off each month. That way you're never paying interest, but with a good card you will be getting cash back each month. Why not let the credit card companies pay you to buy things?

With all the 0% interest ones we get each month, I can't imagine you've not seen one or two of those offers. Just strike up one of them, dump all your debt onto it and set up an auto payment for the minimum monthly so you're never ever late, then cut your own separate check weekly or every other week to cover principle and set a goal to pay it all off in X number of months.

Stay the hell out of debt from now on, including things for the lady. My wife does bankruptcy's all day long. Once you see what the hell you're life can turn into you'll cut them all up.

With all the 0% interest ones we get each month, I can't imagine you've not seen one or two of those offers. Just strike up one of them, dump all your debt onto it and set up an auto payment for the minimum monthly so you're never ever late, then cut your own separate check weekly or every other week to cover principle and set a goal to pay it all off in X number of months.

Stay the hell out of debt from now on, including things for the lady. My wife does bankruptcy's all day long. Once you see what the hell you're life can turn into you'll cut them all up.

I agree, the fiances debt free me not so much. i got lucky shes a very inexpensive person to please she doesnt need fancy crap .

I did the Snowball method myself when I was in my early 20's and had gotten myself heavily into CC debt from being an idiot.

Took me a few years to get all of it gone but yes it does work, just takes self discipline. Step at a time and SUCH a relief off your shoulders to finally get rid of all CC debt...

You got it right > pay off the lower balances first so you can free up monthly cash so then you can put the extra $ to put twords the higher balances after?

this, pick the lowest and easiest and when that's paid put that $ toward the next and keep going. Wife and I did this, got cc debt free in less than 2 years.

A couple years back I was sideways on a couple of cards. I went to the bank and got a 2yr cash loan at 5%(put up assets as collateral), paid off all my cards, cut up all of them but 1 and made payments on the loan. Focused on paying off my card and loan in full each month and after 2 years I was in the clear. I felt this was the easiest way to deal with it.