El Karacho said something that i been thinking about and wanted to bring up.

Spidey2721

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you have a CCW doesn't mean you have to use it. If I was being attacked with lots of people around I would hope to get some help and not need to pull out my CCW. If I'm being attacked by 3 attackers and no one else is around my CCW will come out.

I'd rather have my CCW on me and be able to choose to use it or not.

Jackpot.

I love that I started Krav. It teaches that you're the weapon, your pistol, knife, etc. are all just tools. If I can I'm defusing the situation in a way that I have to inform the officers that I have a CCW, not that they know about it before they get to the scene.

Don't go do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people. That'll prevent a lot of it.

but the possibility is still there. its no where near a stretch to imagine the above scenario

There is no possibility if you mind your business. I only care about the safety of myself, my family, and my friends in that order. Sorry if I offended anyone but you can all deal with it. If you are neither of the 3 I am not pulling out my gun. My life is worth more then yours.

If you are in a situation where you have to pull your gun shoot it and put it away. If you hold it out you open yourself up for rambo to come in and try to claim his 5 minutes of fame by being a hero. Just because a guy in a class says dont get involved doesnt mean everyone is going to listen. Hell, we have a few heroes on this site based on what Ive read previously.

Here's a real life story from last January where there were two heroes and one almost shot the other..

The new poster boy for this agenda is Joe Zamudio, a hero in the Tucson incident. Zamudio was in a nearby drug store when the shooting began, and he was armed. He ran to the scene and helped subdue the killer. Television interviewers are celebrating his courage, and pro-gun blogs are touting his equipment. “Bystander Says Carrying Gun Prompted Him to Help,” says the headline in the Wall Street Journal.

But before we embrace Zamudio’s brave intervention as proof of the value of being armed, let’s hear the whole story. “I came out of that store, I clicked the safety off, and I was ready,” he explained on Fox and Friends. “I had my hand on my gun. I had it in my jacket pocket here. And I came around the corner like this.” Zamudio demonstrated how his shooting hand was wrapped around the weapon, poised to draw and fire. As he rounded the corner, he saw a man holding a gun. “And that’s who I at first thought was the shooter,” Zamudio recalled. “I told him to ‘Drop it, drop it!’ ”

But the man with the gun wasn’t the shooter. He had wrestled the gun away from the shooter. “Had you shot that guy, it would have been a big, fat mess,” the interviewer pointed out.

I think everyone has the scenario backwards. He's saying you're the one getting mugged, you pull a gun to defend yourself, some innocent bystander misreads the situation and you end up dead because you looked like the aggressor.

Absolutely that could happen. Is it likely? Probably not. But all you gun people love preparing for unlikely situations, so have at it.

this. i saying you are the one defending yourself not the one coming round the corner. and for the record i am for ccw carry. but that doesnt really matter here.

As was said earlier in this thread, the CCW people seem to have a plan for every situation. Hell, there's even a thread on here about a winter carry holster wherein the OP says he doesn't want to have to draw a weapon across his body, potentially endangering any bystanders.

So far what I'm seeing is a CCW crowd dismissing this entirely realistic situation (as was quoted in the Tuscon shooting post) as being unworthy of having a clear-cut plan of action for.

So far what I'm seeing is a CCW crowd dismissing this entirely realistic situation (as was quoted in the Tuscon shooting post) as being unworthy of having a clear-cut plan of action for.

Not sure if directed at me or not, but I was just saying that in the event of someone seriously threatening your life, that you prioritize that threat over the possibility of someone else mistakenly shooting for defending yourself, just from a logical point of view. Not trying to play probability with one unlikely sitaution, then add more more variables. The best deterrent is situational awareness, and avoidance. However should that fail I prefer to be armed. Like I said though, not sure if referring to me.

Not sure if directed at me or not, but I was just saying that in the event of someone seriously threatening your life, that you prioritize that threat over the possibility of someone else mistakenly shooting for defending yourself, just from a logical point of view. Not trying to play probability with one unlikely sitaution, then add more more variables. The best deterrent is situational awareness, and avoidance. However should that fail I prefer to be armed. Like I said though, not sure if referring to me.

No this wasn't directed at you. I agree, situational awareness is your best tool in combating such an occurrence. However, I think its foolhardy to NOT assume that others are not as situationally aware as you or I may be, just as we treat all other drivers in the snow as idiots in OH, assuming that at any moment they may decide that the space you occupy is where they'd like to be.

Given that, both the OP and I are curious as to how such a situation would be avoided. The response seems to be education, education, education, training, education, and training.

Given a perfect world and predictable probabilities, I too would like to be armed rather than not be armed. In our imperfect and unpredictable world, I think arming one's self invites...I hesitate to say "problems", I think "unintended responsibilities" would be the best way to describe it. And avoidance to the best of your abilities is the best solution.

Think about this.. because I have thought about this when I started buyings guns. As a black man I am stereo typed for obvious reasons ( being sexy and having a large penis). If you see me pointing a gun Im putting my life in danger unless Im in a uniform. If I have to worry so should you. As the color barrier slowly goes away your attire will determine the level in which you are stereotyped. A white guy in a hoodie is just as bad as a latino in a hoodie now a days.

What im saying is always wear a suit or a cop outfit and you will be better off.

your attire will determine the level in which you are stereotyped.

This is so very true.....

Nobody pays any attention to the cracker in slacks and blazer when they round the corner. Even if he has a gun pointed at somebody they'll assume he wrested it away from the guy in the hoody.

:dumb:

Image and initial impression is everything. People make snap decisions about who you are and how they should act around you in the first 15-30 seconds of an encounter. In these situations they have 1-5 seconds, better make it count. :no:

I will admit that the scenario is possible that someone could shoot you for shooting someone else in a case of mistaken identity. It has happened. I won't, however, consider this to be a very likely scenario and will continue to carry, regardless of this risk. I'd rather take my chances of a bystander shooting me than take my chances of a perp shooting me because I have nothing to defend myself.

Also, if everyone within a one block radius doesn't know what is going on because you're not shouting loud enough; you're doing it wrong. You should be very loudly and clearly, voicing your intentions so that everyone is aware. They tell you this in CCW training as well (or they should be, anyways).

I will admit that the scenario is possible that someone could shoot you for shooting someone else in a case of mistaken identity. It has happened. I won't, however, consider this to be a very likely scenario and will continue to carry, regardless of this risk. I'd rather take my chances of a bystander shooting me than take my chances of a perp shooting me because I have nothing to defend myself.

Also, if everyone within a one block radius doesn't know what is going on because you're not shouting loud enough; you're doing it wrong. You should be very loudly and clearly, voicing your intentions so that everyone is aware. They tell you this in CCW training as well (or they should be, anyways).

For this very reason, I always carry a compact bull horn in a holster.

Doesnt the law state you can get away with murder if a reasonable person would have thought a life was in jeopardy? Even if wrong I think there were instances a similar situation occured and the shooter got off because he reasonably thought a life was in danger. Also arent you required by law to help someone in distress? I dont know if you could just walk away as if nothing is happening.

If YOU have a CCW and you round a corner seeing a person aiming at another would YOU pull your gun and sight in the "assailant"? If so you're the idiot that shouldn't have slipped through the cracks.

The point I think the CCW holders are saying is that ANY CCW holder knows that you shouldn't draw unless the threat is on YOU. Therefore, if "some dude" comes around the corner and isn't an LEO he has no right pulling a weapon whether he's a CCW holder or not. If he even yells out to the assumed "assailant" and the "assailant" does NOT turn on him it's still not his duty to play Rambo.

Call the cops, record, whatever, but no other weapon should be drawn in this scenario.

Now, yes I can see where some idiot WOULD draw on me (or the presumed victim who is now holding the weapon) and truthfully it's hard to say what I would do or what would happen, but I certainly wouldn't do anything to make that person think I was a threat.

That tiny risk outlined in your scenario above is worth the risk to carry. Would rather take my chances of a passerby maybe walking by and misinterpreting the situation, than the bogger risk of not being armed at all should I get robbed.