98' GTi 2.0 (Questions about them friends buying one)

Fubar231

Im going with one of my friends tomorrow to look at a 98 vr6. Hes not really car smart so i told him id look it over. This is what he said has been replaced so far.

Optima Red Top battery

Black Forest Industries Stage .5 polyurethane motor mount complete kit

Missing Linkz all inclusive kit including short shifter and everything else

Autotech ClubSport Stage I Spring & Shock Kit

strut mounts, bearings, and races - the whole nine yards on all four corners

sway bar links and bushings

control arms complete with TT bushings - both sides

driveshafts - both sides

ball joints - both sides

rotors & pads - all four corners

new e-brake cable

s
plugs/wires/distributor/rotor

valve cover gasket and upper manifold gasket

K&N air filter

coolant flange and gasket

oil cooler flange gasket 

oil seal ring 

catalytic converter

hi-lo beam/turn signal stalk

water pump 

thermostat

timing belt, v belt, serpentine belt

timing belt tensioner 

coolant hoses - all of them 

coil pack

starter

Is there anything i should specifically look for on this car?

Thanks

Rust. Check the pinch welds and the rest of the under body. They tend to start rusting around the rubber plugs in the floor pan under the front seats.

There isn't a timing belt. It's a timing chain. Pretty big job. You have to drop the trans to do it.

Not car smart and buying a 14 year old VW VR6 :no:

Hes not like dumb about cars, but hes a kid that acts like he knows way more than he really does, or else he wouldnt be wanting me to go look at it with him. One of those kind of kids lol.

2.0 is a VERY dependable motor and everything is super easy to service. Id say 2k seems right with list about and without seeing pics

The 2.0 is junk bud. We got one in the shop right now at iirc 50k the lobe on the end if the cam is worn into a perfect circle. They burn oil. Valve cover leaks. They make no power and have no potential and off all the cars have the worst resell values

Bub, i worked on vw at dealer for 8 years, never seen that. the 2.0 is a super dependable engine. 2.0 single overhead cam motor not the turbo one. The newer ones are shitty. The autos can be junk but that 5 speed manual is good to go as long as reverse is not too noisy.

That color is single stage also (no clear coat) so if it's not faded it will and you'll need to wax it constantly to keep it shiny. 2.0's are bullet proof. They are cheap to fix and cheap to find if something does go wrong with it.

Sure. Hes looking at it tomorrow so if he doesnt get it ill give you the guys information.

I found it on CL. Clean or no, tell him 3400 is a bit steep.

That color is single stage also (no clear coat) so if it's not faded it will and you'll need to wax it constantly to keep it shiny. 2.0's are bullet proof. They are cheap to fix and cheap to find if something does go wrong with it.

Negative, It's base coat/clear coat. All VW paint is junk.

2.0's are bullet proof. They are cheap to fix and cheap to find if something does go wrong with it.

This.

I drove a 2.0 back from the hocking hills once with a fragged water pump, and the coolant gauge pegged hot. Everything was true enough to get by with a t-belt job and it's been perfect 15k miles later. The 5-speeds are idiot tolerant, parts are super cheap, and they go and go. I'm not too familiar with the 16v 2.0 or whatever in the GTI, but the SOHC 2.0 is solid.

This.

I drove a 2.0 back from the hocking hills once with a fragged water pump, and the coolant gauge pegged hot. Everything was true enough to get by with a t-belt job and it's been perfect 15k miles later. The 5-speeds are idiot tolerant, parts are super cheap, and they go and go. I'm not too familiar with the 16v 2.0 or whatever in the GTI, but the SOHC 2.0 is solid.

Very true, the whole car is pretty much idiot proof. Likey my reason for my love of them. What would be cool is the 16V head on the ABA (2.0), little of this, a little of that and its a 220-230 HP N/A car that still gets killer gas mileage, handles well, and doesn't look totally outdated. I think I just talked myself into another one. :dumb:

I found it on CL. Clean or no, tell him 3400 is a bit steep.

Negative, It's base coat/clear coat. All VW paint is junk.

If it's a factory paint job in a non metallic color it had no clear. The later models did but not the MKIII's.

Every red and yellow MKIII I've owned would all leave color when waxed.