kerosene torpedo heater question

smokin5s

I don't know if this is the right section or not, but my kerosene torpedo heater when turned off will smoke you out of the room (my garage stinks like propane 2 days after it was run) It runs great when it's turned on, but when I turn it off, that's when I get all the smoke. Any recommendations on how to get this not to do this? I bought it to run in my barn which won't be as much of an issue, but there are days I need heat in my garage.

help!

Why does my kerosene heater smoke?

First of all make sure that the heater is filled with K-1 kerosene. Other fuel, such as gasoline, burn too hot causing the heater to burn out of control. NEVER USE GASOLINE or any other fuel described as flammable. If there is any question about the fuel in your heater it is best to drain it and replace the wick and start with fresh K-1 kerosene. If you are sure of your fuel and your heater is giving off sooty black smoke it is a sign that the fuel/air mix is off. Make sure the chimney is seated correctly. If it didn’t seat into place correctly after lighting you may be getting a very high flame on one side. If it’s a high orange flame all the way around try rolling the wick adjuster knob down within the adjustment range - the wick may just be too high. If these things do not fix the problem wait until the heater is cool and inspect the burner cylinder. If there are any holes plugged with soot it needs to be cleaned or if it’s dented or buckled it needs to be replaced. After you have checked the fuel and burner you should check to make sure the wick is installed at the correct height. Refer to the owner's manual for exact height. If the wick isn't installed correctly or there is no obvious defect it is best to take the heater to a service center to determine the cause.

sounds like something isnt put together quite right...

or... is there a wick somewhere in those? It appears if there is, and it is too tall itll smoke a lot. Just trim it.

I know nothing about them, just how to Google lol