Tech help on wheels and offset

SpaceGhost

I'm removing/covering all crome/light silver off/on the car. Next is the decision to take the BBS wheels to Wheel Medic to paint them flat black or GOLD for summer. :masturboy:

Also where could I get a small spacer to increase the offset a little for the BBS wheels, and would this be OK to do, or bad? I seriously need input about the spacer, I have no clue. My Black cheap rims look better and I think the offset is a little more than the BBS. Several members have stated this to me.

The stock 2011 STi BBS wheels? Good lord, I hope you step on a lego. They're beautiful (when clean) in stock silver form... :(

NASIOC seems to think spacers are okay, so long as you don't autocross the car. No driveability issues or handling issues, it appears. Just additional stress, but it's not an issue for normal driving.

EDIT: Just make sure you have lugs to account for it, obviously.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2289746

Ben,

The typical rule of thumb has been no more than a 3mm spacer with the stock hub hardware. If you use a spacer of 5mm or more it is advised for you to get longer lug studs or lug bolts to make up for the difference. Some people swear that 5mm is safe on stock hardware, but it's not worth chancing in the end.

If you're looking for a spacer greater than even 15mm, get hub spacers which are hub and wheel centric to avoid vibration. Hub Adapters/Spacers are extremely strong, and many companies have been running adapters on their track cars without problems.

I'm curious, what's the initial offset on the wheels now, and what ETs are you looking for in the final offset?

Also, by adding spacers, you're decreasing the offset ;)

Depending on what size you're looking for and what your lug pattern is you can get spacers from most auto parts stores. I think the 5/16 spacers I have on the Camaro came from Autozone. Anything much thicker than that you will need to head someplace else. I was able to get a 3/4 spacer at Jegs. But then you need to look at something like extended lug nuts.

And I did have to laugh at the stepping on a Lego comment.

I have no idea what the actual offset is on either wheel, I will look later and try to see if there really is a difference in the offset. I think the difference between the two are 3-5mm at most.

And to Andrew yes, the stock BBS. I step on Legos every day.