HOW TO: Suomy Spec 1R/Spec 1R Extreme side covers...

Moto-Brian

Ok, had a few people asking and since I used to do this with Suomy at the AMA events, I have probably done a thousand lids this way...

This is for the Spec 1R and Spec 1R Extreme as they are the same side covers and base plates...

chumba.jpg

Step 1:

Step 1 is really just recognizing the base plate and where stuff goes. In figure 1, you can see the base plate with the side cover not on. There are two distinct things to note. First, the top groove. It is where the top tab goes off the side cover. Second, the bottom push tab that you push in to release the side cover. This is a spring loaded style piece and is designed to move forward and back (right to left when looking at it this way). The base tab will go in here...

Figure 1:

step1final.jpg

Step 2:

Step 2 is again just recognizing parts and what they are. I used a marker to designate the top and bottom tabs. The top tab needs to be placed and the bottom tab is clicked in... Just notes these and understand what I am refering to when directing what tab goes where...

Figure 2:

step2final.jpg

Step 3:

Step 3 is most critical. You need to do this part right or it all doesn't work... You;ll know when it isn't right, too. You need to take the top tab and get it into the top groove as seen in Figure 1. It will somewhat "snap" into place.

Figure 3:

step3final.jpg

Step 4:

Step 4 is again just recognizing if it is going the right direction. Notice in Figure 4 that we have NOT snapped the bottom in yet... DO NOT tug outward on the side cover as you can snap the top tab or bend it and damaging it.

step4final.jpg

Step 5:

FINAL step!! Step 5 is the cringe step. People get really nervous about this step, but it is how we have done it time and time again. After EVERY practice and session out on the track, we have removed and cleaned the shields. So, these little tabs will hold up and do fine...

Anyways, the side cover should have the top tab in place and rest pretty much in the position it is needing to be in. The bottom just needs to be snapped in. I simply smack it with the base of my closed hand and "pop" it into that bottom groove. Remember, that bottom groove is spring loaded and will lock the tab once put into place. When done, it should be fine. Lift and lower the shield to verify it all works. If not, try again. Once you do it enough times, it is second nature and a breeze...

Figure 5:

step5final.jpg

good write up brian. i remember when i first got mine i was like how the f does this work! once i figured it out i just kept doing it till i got it down smooth! Soumy FTW!!!

side note: where do u get the tear off tabs and tear offs them self???

Edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5

My bracket was swiveled an inch forward from when the center screw fell out lol... Thats why I was having so many issues

So whatcha sayin' is you have a screw loose and that's your problem?? Boy, you just set yourself up, Jess...:D

Make sure though that whenever you change a shield - especially the tear off shields - you loosen the screws and press the shield up tight against the helmet to get as good a seal as you can. While holding it, tighten the screws and secure the shiled...

• 5 months later...
The right side cover on my Spec 1R WILL NOT ATTACH. I have to pry up on the release with a small screwdriver to get it to latch.....

Pry up? There is no up prying to be done on that helmet. Do you mean that you have to push in on the release?

If so, I am dead serious that you have to smack the hell out of it to secure it into the groove.

I can help if you want to meet up and I can show you. The write up is pretty hard to figure that last step and I know it makes people nervous when they do it - they think they are going to break the base piece...

PM me your info and maybe we can meet at the Pony tomorrow...