School me on optics...

EVILGTP98

Hey guys, looking at picking up a scope for my 308, most likely a LWRC Repr but I am not sure on which optic setup to go with. Right now I am leaning twards a leupold Mark 4 tactical, in a 6.5 to 15ish magnification. Is there any other type of optic brand wise, feel like leupold I am just paying for a name. Looking at Mil-dot reticule, use is gonna be 100 yards out to 1000

Thanks for any input guys.

The NXS series from Nightforce and Schmidt and Bender optics should be in the same price range and pretty damn good competition. I've been impressed with Bushnell's Elite line; some of the benchrest guys at Thunder Valley run them on their bolt .50s and can hold a 12" ring at a mile just fine.

I was just reading about scopes, seems the "other" best have been listed, ie Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite.

I recently picked up a cheaper Bushnell Banner series Mil Dot scope for playing around. I'm not a serious long range shooter at this point, it reviewed well everywhere I looked, and should fit my current use for it.

I recently picked up a cheaper Bushnell Banner series

I have a couple of Bushnell Banner scopes.

On my 22.250 I mounted a 3-9x40mm.

Set the scope to 6x and shot at 45 yards and split the cross hair on the target.

Changed to 9x and shot 1" high with no other changes.

Not unusual at all with cheaper scopes. Most variable-power scopes have a bit of POI shift through the magnification range, until you get to the NF price point LOL.

I'm going to pick up a bushnell elite just to see what all the hubub is about. Will report back.

Buy the most expensive one you can afford, attach it to weapon, than let it sit in range bag for the rest of its life until you decide to sell it.

This is what I did for years. :lolguy:

Finally I started putting hi-vis or ghost-ring sights on every damn thing. It finally occurred to me that I haven't fired a shot over 100 yards in my life except a handful of times.