Concrete Pros (Sam?) - Anyone looking for a small side job?

twistedfocus1647545489

I need to have the approach redone on my driveway. I have one of those retarded driveways that ends with a full-on curb. I think someone could just grind or cut down the existing curb and just pour the approach itself (17' x 3') but I have no idea. It would be nice if the existing slab could be lowered to match the ground-down curb, but whatever. Maybe it would be easier to bust it all up and pour it all from the sidewalk out.

Anyway, I just started calling around for estimates because I applied for the permit today and thought I'd throw it out for anyone here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/twistedfocus/Curb1.jpg?t=1328553648

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/twistedfocus/Curb2.jpg?t=1328553648

Quickcrete FTW, if you still need help when I get back to ohio I'll help ya out. I know a decent amount about concrete and form work.

:no: thats a lot of quickcrete to mix. and there shouldn't be much to form up either. To OP find a friend that does concrete and pay him in beer bc thats a fairly simple job you could DIY with a little guidance.

Are you looking to have the approach done or the curb and gutter?

Curb and approach. Basically everything between the sidewalk and road, though cutting the curb instead of complete replacement is fine by me. I just need to be able to get a lowered car in the driveway with the front end and exhaust attached for once.:fa:

I now have my first quote but it's nearly $1000. That's about double what I expected but I don't know shit about concrete to say if that's realistic or not. I definitely wouldn't want to quickrete it myself. I have no patience for this sort of thing and I want to make sure it's structurally sound. If I back a moving truck in here and break it I'll be pissed I cheaped out. Also, Delaware City requires a permit for this and I think they even come by and inspect it afterward, so it needs to be somewhat professional looking even though I don't personally give a shit if I can drive my car over it.

Having done this exact type of work for nearly 11 years and dealing with every city around here, I am very surprised the city would allow you to do anything to the curb and gutter that alters from it's design. It's not just for looks and is designed with a purpose. I don't doubt they would allow you to replace it, although it falls under most cities repair themselves, if it is damaged. If the allow you to just grind it down, then i can give you the name of a company that can grind it down or do a curb cut on it which is a horizontal surface cut with flared ends cut. That curb is most likely 12" at the curb and 8" at the gutter. You will need a company that can eliminate over cuts typically with a concrete chainsaw as the city probably won't allow you to over cut into the street. You can go full depth with your blade but the ends will have to be hammered out as a standard hs can go a maximum depth of 5" not including the blades curvature so your edges are only cut around 3" depth, unless you have a ringsaw which can approx. 9" on the ends and approx. 11" center depth.

Curb and approach. Basically everything between the sidewalk and road, though cutting the curb instead of complete replacement is fine by me. I just need to be able to get a lowered car in the driveway with the front end and exhaust attached for once.:fa:

I now have my first quote but it's nearly $1000. That's about double what I expected but I don't know shit about concrete to say if that's realistic or not. I definitely wouldn't want to quickrete it myself. I have no patience for this sort of thing and I want to make sure it's structurally sound. If I back a moving truck in here and break it I'll be pissed I cheaped out. Also, Delaware City requires a permit for this and I think they even come by and inspect it afterward, so it needs to be somewhat professional looking even though I don't personally give a shit if I can drive my car over it.

First of all, DO NOT USE QUIKCRETE FOR A DRIVEWAY. That is prolly the worst thing you can do. Second, there are curb cutting company's out there but that wont solve the issueon the approach. Next I can tear both the curb and approach out and repour it all as one nice slope to the street and eliminate the big hump from the curb and still leave a edge on the curb box for the water to run against and continue down the road to the drains. Also you will most def need a permit and they will have to inspect it without a doubt. That goes for any city on any approach. I have pm'ed you so just let me know what you are wanting to do once you find out the info I pm'ed you.

Thanks.

I applied for a permit on Monday. They are holding it until I have a contractor selected. They went ahead and sent out the City Engineer today to have a look and he has already signed off on it. Apparently they need to inspect it prior to the pour but they okayed both cutting down the curb or removal and replacement.

So far so good. Just need to get Sam to do it for a pack of Trident Layers. :dumb:

I applied for a permit on Monday. They are holding it until I have a contractor selected. They went ahead and sent out the City Engineer today to have a look and he has already signed off on it. Apparently they need to inspect it prior to the pour but they okayed both cutting down the curb or removal and replacement.

So far so good. Just need to get Sam to do it for a pack of Trident Layers. :dumb:

See you tomorrow.

If you look at this guys address on google maps

(The driveway with the suv in it, looks like 3302 maybe on the curb)

3306 Gladesend Court, Columbus, Ohio, United States

Address is approximate

i believe thats what you want done to your driveway. I was asking around at one point to have this done to mine too. His was cut i believe but its only like a little 2 inch hump into his driveway now instead of a full blown curb.

If you look at this guys address on google maps

(The driveway with the suv in it, looks like 3302 maybe on the curb)

3306 Gladesend Court, Columbus, Ohio, United States

Address is approximate

i believe thats what you want done to your driveway. I was asking around at one point to have this done to mine too. His was cut i believe but its only like a little 2 inch hump into his driveway now instead of a full blown curb.

That's more or less what I'm looking to do. Most of the houses on my street have actually already had this done over the years. Most are only maybe a 1-2" lip at the gutter. The curb was a minor annoyance with the bike but is a real problem with a lowered car, so it's time.

That's more or less what I'm looking to do. Most of the houses on my street have actually already had this done over the years. Most are only maybe a 1-2" lip at the gutter. The curb was a minor annoyance with the bike but is a real problem with a lowered car, so it's time.

I went and took a pic of the guys driveway while i was out to see if it would help you or anyone else. His is really maybe a 1-2" lip at MOST.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/SevereSarz/con4.jpg

Compared to my drive way

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/SevereSarz/con1.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/SevereSarz/con3.jpg