1999 Porsche

zeitgeist57

http://www.mercedesexpert.com/inventory/view/5034013/1999-Porsche-911%20Carrera

I did a KBB search and a 996 Carrera cabriolet is less than $20k? Anything you need to look out for on these cars? I'm not in the market, but for as awesome as the 911 is this seems like a nice "starter" Porsche for someone...

Massive production number bump with the 996 cars, lots of them floating around in the market and people are scared to own a porsche out of warranty. They really are pretty cheap to own / maintain it's just the stigma that they are not.

'99 was the first year. VERY early cars had some issues with cylinder linings being porus and the linings giving out. I'm pretty sure most cars effected have long since blown up though.

'99 Dash if it's not a full leather car is a horrible dimpled plastic. They fixed the standard dash for '00. My '99 had full leather and it was beautiful.

The real issue with these cars is they have a sealed intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing that can go bad. There are upgraded bearings now available and if you make this a maintenance item just like a timing belt would be for another car they will run forever. Most of the engine failures in M96 block cars are from this bearing failure. the intermediate shaft controls cam timing so when the bearing fails timing suffers and catastrophic things happen internally. I think most shops will do the fix to the bearing for $1000-1500. The bearing is cheap, but the tranny has to be pulled to get in there and replace it.

M96 blocks tend to have rear main seal leaks. Thankfully my car never suffered from this but alot of them do. Seal is $20, tranny has to come out to replace it so you're $1k in the repair. Most of them just seep though, it's not until it really leaks it needs to be addressed. You'll see puddles on the garage floor as an indicator.

So those are the nightmares, Address a couple of things that should be considered routein mainenance and you're good to go. Strong running, great handling, classic design, what's not to like?

They've been cheap for awhile though, My old '99 was about as expensvie as you could option one when purchased new ($89k in 1999), had all the right options and when I sold it 3 years ago with only 50k miles on it I only got $26,5 for it. Market's even softer now.

Andy

Edited by AudiOn19s

i am turned off from 996's for a few reasons.

1. Some claim it doesnt handle like a "real" 911 should. Pretty much just a normal 2 door sedan badged as a 911.

2. Issues with IMS as mentioned above

3. Not aircooled. Might hold out for a nice 993, but again those have SAI passage issues too that I don't want to deal with. Fail.

Every single 911 that ever rolled off the assembly line was a collector's item, until the 996. Nobody cares about the water cooled cars.

Plus it's a 13 year old performance car. You can buy a 3 year old 370z for the same money and be just as fast around a road course, and you won't have to worry so much about maintenance. Or hell, even a newer Boxster would be just as fast.

OTOH, it's a Porsche, and nobody ever claimed that buying one was a rational decision. As much as I hate to admit it, there's nothing more recognizably awesome as a 911.

They've been cheap for awhile though, My old '99 was about as expensvie as you could option one when purchased new ($89k in 1999), had all the right options and when I sold it 3 years ago with only 50k miles on it I only got $26,5 for it. Market's even softer now.

Andy

that's kinda surprising considering it had the GT3 appearance pack (Aero option it was called, no?)

a coworker just bought a 996 as a winter car............he's kinda kooky this guy, considering he built a Drift Element with a turbo Honda V6 turned RWD (yes, it's THE Drift Element)

WTF, lol. What did he use for the transmission?

I can't remember..... it was like over 3 years ago he told me the details. It's hanging out in our race shop now taking up dust

He drives it rarely now....now he's more into rallying....he did Pike's Peak last year in a Honda Fit and just did Sno-Drift last week in it too