So lets hear from you long distance riders...

FocusDave01

...as the title states im curious to know what it is like riding long miles on a sport bike. I understand cruisers and other bikes are more comfortable in the long run, but ill be making alot of trips back and forth from cinci to columbus alot this summer and ill be riding my bike. so i know thats only bout 100 or so miles what about long long rides on sport bikes, any interesting stories or tips? :guitar:

...as the title states im curious to know what it is like riding long miles on a sport bike. I understand cruisers and other bikes are more comfortable in the long run, but ill be making alot of trips back and forth from cinci to columbus alot this summer and ill be riding my bike. so i know thats only bout 100 or so miles what about long long rides on sport bikes, any interesting stories or tips? :guitar:

ive done a 500 miler on my r6, and its like anything else, if you train for it, its easier. when i ride around ohio, i regularly do over 200 miles, and it is not the most comfortable thing in the world, so i guess its up to you. if i was going to be doing all that commuting on a bike, might want to invest in some risers since you already have the bike, but i would have probably looked into getting more of a standard. those are long straight miles youre putting on too, which only makes it worse.

wow well its nice to know people do it even farther than i thought. i didnt think it was that bad just hear of people complaining of back pain and what not on long long distance on sport bikes. im actually excited to do it, that is my luck ill run into a nasty thunderstorm or something lol.

I normally hit the back roads for 200miles or so and that's just around here.

Last year I did a 600mile day which hurt like hell! lol but it was a fun time.

Go to the gym and do leg lifts, hamstring curls, and bicycle. That will help you have more endurance on a sportbike for sure.

Last summer I rode from Columbus to Myrtle Beach, SC and then took another trip from Columbus to Alcoa, TN...I was hit by shitty weather on both trips. Rain is the least of your worries, trust me! Now Fog on the other hand, SUCKS!!!!!!! I've never been so afraid on the bike in my life.

If you are a real thrill seeker, try fog at night....and if that's not enough, ride deal's gap in the rain and fog with wet leaves on the ground. Haha It will sharpen your sportbike skills for sure and you'll think riding in the rain is nothing.

If you can't do 100 miles on your bike in a single stretch; sell the thing.

I've posted this on the forum before, my Buddy Dave does trips west each year with me on his R6 and has done many 1,000 mile days and almost always does 3 or 4 700+ days in a row. And he's 45 years old. If he can do it, younger guiys should be able to do it with no problem. Never heard him bitch at all about beign sore or anything.

I do loads of long trips each year, granted I'm on a ST1100 sports tourer, but 700 mile days are pretty much the norm if you want to get outta the midwest. Have also done loads of 300-400 mile days on one of my Ducs and never had a problem with them at all. Their seating position if worse than the R6 by quite a bit.

Just get used to it, get the sand outta your vag and ride!!!

Last summer I rode from Columbus to Myrtle Beach, SC and then took another trip from Columbus to Alcoa, TN...I was hit by shitty weather on both trips. Rain is the least of your worries, trust me! Now Fog on the other hand, SUCKS!!!!!!! I've never been so afraid on the bike in my life.

If you are a real thrill seeker, try fog at night....and if that's not enough, ride deal's gap in the rain and fog with wet leaves on the ground. Haha It will sharpen your sportbike skills for sure and you'll think riding in the rain is nothing.

Just close you eyes and go faster - works every time!

...so that's what you were doing when you took off on us at night in the mountains, fog and rain. LOL

Yup - works like charm.:p

I'd rather ride in the dark, rain and fog than that cold shit we did on the way home.

Yup - works like charm.:p

I'd rather ride in the dark, rain and fog than that cold shit we did on the way home.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the cold either. Hope the weather conditions will be a little better for the next trip to the Gap.

Yeah, I've never had back pain either. I don't know how some get it, but it's more leg pain than anything. You utilize LOTS of leg strength on those long rides.

I get back pain from time to time. But I've got 2 plates and 4 screws in my lower back.:p

Rain? Always have rain gear on the bike;)

Cruisers really aren't all that much more comfortable for distance that sportbikes. The position locks you into place so you can't move around and puts all the weight on the butt so all the road bumps go right into the butt and lower spine.

I'll take a sport on a long distance ride over a cruiser any day as long as I can set it up right, risers, different seat and maybe lowered pegs.

I commute from Marysville to Dayton which is 100 miles round trip. I think by the time you hit 70 or 80 miles you will be ready for a break. I am a big puss, so after riding 50 miles to work, I am ready to stop. But, I don't think it will be too bad for you.