Cam upgrade LS1

BrendanB

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above lol, and just a cam that's daily useable all year round, but relatively cheap. I'm hoping to budget 1500-1700 or so if that helps narrow it down

You can daily drive any cam, some are just easier to drive than others. Most of the drivability is in the tune. I daily drove mine when it had the MS3.

My opinion would be 228/232 on a 112 since you have a manual and its your first cam. Its going to be a stretch getting all the parts you need and installed for that price. May want to check other forums and strategically mixed new with used parts after getting a quote from Brandon..

Thunder Racing LS1 Cam Swap Package w/ Dual Valve Springs Includes:

- Your Choice of Thunder Racing Camshaft

- Dual Patriot Gold Valvesprings and Ti Retainers

- Thunder Racing Pushrods (7.400)

- Valve Stem Seals

- Additional spring options available below

**XTR, CheatR-LS2, and TRAK cams require upgrade from Patriot Gold springs due to more aggressive lobe profile**

$719.99

I got the cam swap kit on sale from Thunder Racing and it was only like $599 or something, but this was a while ago.

And now comes the back peddle as he adds street cars. Here is your next backstep. No need for anything more on street cars under 550 RWHP.

What the OP is looking for he won't need more than a .650 lift dual spring. And btw I know plenty of street car LS' making more than 550rwhp using .650 dual springs that haven't had any valvetrain issues.

What the OP is looking for he won't need more than a .650 lift dual spring. And btw I know plenty of street car LS' making more than 550rwhp using .650 dual springs that haven't had any valvetrain issues.

what are you running? Cam? Valvespring?

Im not talking about the OP I am responding to your blanket statements that I disagree with. And the lack of issues that you recognise mean nothing. You could find cars that make 600 or 800 HP on shit springs it doesnt mean they are not leaving a ton on the table. I have seen a ton of dyno sheets with cars that peak the HP at 6300 to 6600 that should have carried another 500 rpm do to valve springs,,, some of them were mine.

Lack of seat pressure, improperly shimmed springs, running .650 lift cams on springs with less than 180# seat pressure, theres a good start. Go ahead and drink the koolaid on LS1tech but dont think i am going to have a glass.

My opinion would be 228/232 on a 112 since you have a manual and its your first cam. Its going to be a stretch getting all the parts you need and installed for that price. May want to check other forums and strategically mixed new with used parts after getting a quote from Brandon..

Ok, I'll check that cam out, and get a quote here soon. Where would be somewhere to get used parts? And thanks to everyone for the help, not looking to get this until mid-to late summer, but it's good to know how much I need to put aside for the upgrade, and what parts are the best in this scenario

Ok, I'll check that cam out, and get a quote here soon. Where would be somewhere to get used parts? And thanks to everyone for the help, not looking to get this until mid-to late summer, but it's good to know how much I need to put aside for the upgrade, and what parts are the best in this scenario

Im a WS6store shopper... but Brandon might be able to work a deal out with you if you are buying multiple parts and doing installs.

P.S. Ray has Eli Manning springs, those things are giants!

spend. 2500 and get chads on3 trubo kit make 500 to 550 whp and keep your mileage and street manors! I don't understand why anyone would spend 1500 to 2000 for 40 whp maybe.

hes not installing his own stuff, so add labor on top of turbo kit and as always with 2500 turbo kit there will be more $$ on top of that for supporting mods

spend. 2500 and get chads on3 trubo kit make 500 to 550 whp and keep your mileage and street manors! I don't understand why anyone would spend 1500 to 2000 for 40 whp maybe.

Some ppl want the sound of a cam...plus if he still wants his ac which I'm sire he does, he will also have to buy the kmember too.

hes not installing his own stuff, so add labor on top of turbo kit and as always with 2500 turbo kit there will be more $$ on top of that for supporting mods

This, and I don't want Forced Induction at the moment, at least not for a while lol.