Cigar crew

RedRocket1647545505

I'm going to try to join you and would like some insight.

I don't smoke, and have never smoked, but, I'm looking to pick up some finer things in life.

I am waaaay green when it comes to cigar stuff. I stopped by the Tinder Box in Dublin and talked to the old dude with the sick beard that was running the place. He seemed very knowledgeable, which was nice. I told him I was looking to get into it a bit and to give me a small, but decent selection. I went home with 10 different cigars and was told that this was a good start. He seemed to have a bias (perhaps it is justified) towards Padrons. I bought a sample pack of 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and an Exclusivo, whatever the fuck those are. I also told him I wanted a small variety of some various other brands. I ended up with an Ashton, Royal Butera vintage, A. Fuente Gran Reserva, Gran Habano Connecticut #1, and an Alec Bradley Black Market. They all appear to be about the same size and shape. First impression upon smelling them all; they all smell like shit. I hope they don't taste like they smell. The cedar smell on the cellophane smells nice, though. The Exclusivo (I think that's the one) smells the best out of all of them, and that was because it didn't have much of a smell to it at all.

I was also told the little humi-paks he gave me were only good for about a month, so, I guess I'll need a humidor as well. He also sold me this chinsy little cutter that looks like something you'd find in an arts and crafts store, so, I'll be needing something a bit more elegant there, as well. For a humidor, I was thinking about this one, based on no other logical reason than, "I like how it looks." http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-HUM120RC&cat=10

Thoughts? Do I need anything else for it or do I just stick the cigars in there and let them go? Again, I'm green here.

Cutters? I want something :fuckyeah: . This plastic POS isn't gonna cut it (eh, see what I did thar?........:dumb:)

I ordered a zippo, mostly cause I just want one, but from the little bit of reading I've done, matches or cedar sticks are the way to go, for whatever reason.

I have this feeling that 10 cigars isn't a very good start. So I'm looking for recommendations on various cigars that would be good to start out with, or what your favorites are. Again, I'm looking for a variety here.

In the end, this all might be a huge failure. I'll probably end up taking one puff, coughing up a lung, saying 'fuck this' and selling everything. But, I'm gonna give it a solid try.

I don't think I am an expert by any means, only been puffin for a few years, but I've been recently stuck on the Oliva Serie V and G sticks. Got a bunch in my humidor, along with a couple CAO, and Gurkha sticks.

As far as your humidor you just need something that seals well, and will hold the amount you need. I only have a 40 count, which is by all accounts small. I also use humidor beads, instead of the sponge, but I'm not sure it matters too much if you keep it proper. Distilled water only of course, if they need recharged.

Also I use a Vector Punch as my cutter, as I prefer a uniform cut. It makes a nice large hole for draw, but is not so good for torpedos(I do also have a cheap, metal guillotine). A nice butane torch lighter is great for a proper light, as well as an actual cigar ash tray for those long smokes(or poker games).

I also love a nice single malt accompaniment, but beer, coffee, and even just water is fine. I absolutely need something, especially for full flavored cigars.

When it comes to cigars it all depends on the person. For every cigar out there you can find someone that loves it and someone that hates it. The only thing I would recommend is trying many different brands to see what flavors and type cigars you like. There are several cigar site that offer sampler such as cigarinternational.com. Or you can pick them up locally like you did this time. As you try different smokes post up which ones you like better than the others and that can help us possibly suggest other cigars with similar flavors. When starting I liked CAO, 601s, pardons, Oliva, Viaje, and Tatuaje.

He is right about the humipack last about a month. For now you can keep them in a zip lock bag or get a Tupperware container works good for short storage. I have had a couple humidors that I got from cigarinternational and had great luck with all of them. Make sure you read up on how to season the humidor properly. If you need any help with the seasoning process let me know. I would also suggest getting a digital hygrometer. These can range from $7 at walmart to $50 at a cigar shop. When you get them you can salt test them to see how accurate they are. The ones I have from walmart are all off by 2-3%. Not enough for me to worry about them or want to waste money on a more expensive one There is some great write ups on cigarasylum.com that covers all the getting started tips like seasoning the humidor and salt testing the hygrometer.

After you humidor is set up you will also need some type of humidification. Most people go with beads. Check out heartfeltindustries.com for more information on these. They are very easy to use. Make sure you use distilled water. The magic number seems to be around 65% humidity in the humidor after it is set up. The beads are the best way to assure you keep the humidity at 65%. Don’t stress about it being right on 65% either. A little over or under is fine. I keep mine between 60%-70%.

Cutters- Palio and xikar are two of the most popular ones out there. Both start around $35 and go up from there. Both have life time warranty so if they get dual you can send them in to get sharpened. I have both and like my Palio better but the xikar make some cooler cutters.

When lighting cigars most people use butane torch lighters or matches. People say that the lighter fluid in Zippos can change the flavors of the cigar. I have used Zippos plenty of times and after the first couple draws I cannot tell the difference. Again to each their own.

I think you're going to get a lot of advice in this thread, mostly from guys who will be somewhat knowledgeable and who will give you some solid guidance.

Here's my counterpoint to the people who will suggest you buy this and buy that:

If someone were just getting into pistols and he asked you what kind to buy and what equipment he'll need, wouldn't you first suggest he go to a range with an experienced friend and try out the hobby, shoot a number of pistols, before he made any investment? IMHO, this is the same. Go out to a cigar night with some CR guys, try different cigars, listen to their opinions about humidors/humidifier media/lighting techniques. Find out what you like and don't, what you're willing to invest in vs. what you consider a waste. THEN start spending money. Your tastes will change somewhat as you get into cigars more, but if you start with some good basics, you'll enjoy it more and will get to what you like a lot faster.

My 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

TLDR; here are 2 cigar reviews i had last week.

just tried room 101's namakubi. It was ok. I was trying to go for an after lunch cigar while breaking from a morning of skiing. It finished smooth but started off to light( i was sitting out in 15-20 deg temps). I love room 101 but will probably hold off on their brand until the "one shot one kill" comes out in a few weeks.

what i just fell in love with was a Fausto. Full strengh Nicaraguan style that starts off with a real black peppery shot and smooths out to a nice creamy sensation that leaves you with coffee/milky aftertaste, similar to a good stout. it was smooth down to the VERY end and was smoked after a big meal while standing outside in 20-30deg night temps. this will be my regular for the rest of the winter.

when it comes to equipment dont stress over it. but what ever cutters or punch you want... its really not that big of a deal. As mentioned above anything but matches are thought to alter the taste so i stick simply with matches.

as far as humidors i wouldnt buy one until you find a stick you really like. Besides, the more trips you make into the smoke shop, the more advice you'll get. Most shop employees are good about remembering names, so chat it up and hell clue you in on the newest stuff.

I personally would not have asked for 10 cigars if you had never smoked before. What happens if you don't like it? Then you are stuck with a bunch of cigars and equipment that you are never going to use. The best idea would have been to get together with some CR members that smoke and ask if you could try one hree and there. I can't speak for the rest of the members, but if I were still there, I would have just bought you one and given it to you for you to try. Then the following week, maybe someone else hook you up with one.

All that aside, assuming you do like smoking them, my personal favorites are the Oliva Serie V, and the Don Pepin Blue label. Eat something first. I would not recommend smoking on an empty stomach, and be sure to just chill and take your time, no need to puff it down super fast. A glass of Grand Marnier goes well with cigars too.

Awesome info and suggestions. Thanks, folks.

When it comes to cigars it all depends on the person. For every cigar out there you can find someone that loves it and someone that hates it. The only thing I would recommend is trying many different brands to see what flavors and type cigars you like. There are several cigar site that offer sampler such as cigarinternational.com. Or you can pick them up locally like you did this time. As you try different smokes post up which ones you like better than the others and that can help us possibly suggest other cigars with similar flavors. When starting I liked CAO, 601s, pardons, Oliva, Viaje, and Tatuaje.

He is right about the humipack last about a month. For now you can keep them in a zip lock bag or get a Tupperware container works good for short storage. I have had a couple humidors that I got from cigarinternational and had great luck with all of them. Make sure you read up on how to season the humidor properly. If you need any help with the seasoning process let me know. I would also suggest getting a digital hygrometer. These can range from $7 at walmart to $50 at a cigar shop. When you get them you can salt test them to see how accurate they are. The ones I have from walmart are all off by 2-3%. Not enough for me to worry about them or want to waste money on a more expensive one There is some great write ups on cigarasylum.com that covers all the getting started tips like seasoning the humidor and salt testing the hygrometer.

After you humidor is set up you will also need some type of humidification. Most people go with beads. Check out heartfeltindustries.com for more information on these. They are very easy to use. Make sure you use distilled water. The magic number seems to be around 65% humidity in the humidor after it is set up. The beads are the best way to assure you keep the humidity at 65%. Don’t stress about it being right on 65% either. A little over or under is fine. I keep mine between 60%-70%.

Cutters- Palio and xikar are two of the most popular ones out there. Both start around $35 and go up from there. Both have life time warranty so if they get dual you can send them in to get sharpened. I have both and like my Palio better but the xikar make some cooler cutters.

When lighting cigars most people use butane torch lighters or matches. People say that the lighter fluid in Zippos can change the flavors of the cigar. I have used Zippos plenty of times and after the first couple draws I cannot tell the difference. Again to each their own.

:fuckyeah:

I think you're going to get a lot of advice in this thread, mostly from guys who will be somewhat knowledgeable and who will give you some solid guidance.

Here's my counterpoint to the people who will suggest you buy this and buy that:

If someone were just getting into pistols and he asked you what kind to buy and what equipment he'll need, wouldn't you first suggest he go to a range with an experienced friend and try out the hobby, shoot a number of pistols, before he made any investment? IMHO, this is the same. Go out to a cigar night with some CR guys, try different cigars, listen to their opinions about humidors/humidifier media/lighting techniques. Find out what you like and don't, what you're willing to invest in vs. what you consider a waste. THEN start spending money. Your tastes will change somewhat as you get into cigars more, but if you start with some good basics, you'll enjoy it more and will get to what you like a lot faster.

My 2 cents.

That's probably very true. I'm usually not that sensible, though. :masturboy:

I haven't gotten into the cigars yet but I did get into pipe tobacco last year. I like it a lot and I would think that by filtering through different kinds of pipe tobacco you could get a feel for what kind of cigar you would like.

As far as the lighting source is concerned, you probably won't notice a difference at the start but there are cleaner burning types of butane and what not and it can effect the taste of your smoke.

What is this? I don't even...

Got a bowl of distilled water sitting in it now. Gonna check it in a week to see what it's up to. In the mean time, I'm gonna order a digi-hygrometer and some beads.

http://i41.tinypic.com/vnmljk.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2d3v9h.jpg

Ordered some more samples and such. We'll see.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2rhydkg.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/fk6yaq.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/vo9b7q.jpg

Smoke that Padron anniversary last! If you have it up front it'll ruin all of the other cigars for you. You'll always say "yeah, but it's not as good as that Padron..."

Seems like you've really jumped in, so I'd say, grab some drinks and enjoy. Perhaps I'll see you up at Governor's Smoke Shop sometime.

That is a great start. Its easier to maintain the humidity level with a full humidor ;)

Just a heads up you might want to consider storing the infued cigars (Acid) alone. The non infused cigars will take on their taste when stored together. When I had my acid collect I had a 50 ct humidor that I kept them all in. To each their own though. What cutter and beads did you end up going with?

Soon you'll be up to this

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n262/biga0206/DSCN1952.jpg

That is a great start. Its easier to maintain the humidity level with a full humidor ;)

Just a heads up you might want to consider storing the infued cigars (Acid) alone. The non infused cigars will take on their taste when stored together. When I had my acid collect I had a 50 ct humidor that I kept them all in. To each their own though. What cutter and beads did you end up going with?

Thanks for the tip on the infused stuff; I was unaware of that. I have yet to order a cutter or beads. I'm probably gonna go with a Vector double Guillotine and also one of their punches, just to try both. As for beads, I'll probably go with some of those that you posted from HFI.

Is it OK to leave the cigars in their packaging for a week or two while the humidor is seasoning or will they dry out?

Thanks for the tip on the infused stuff; I was unaware of that. I have yet to order a cutter or beads. I'm probably gonna go with a Vector double Guillotine and also one of their punches, just to try both. As for beads, I'll probably go with some of those that you posted from HFI.

Is it OK to leave the cigars in their packaging for a week or two while the humidor is seasoning or will they dry out?

Just find what cut/ punch you like and go from there. I pick what I use depending on the cigar. The HFI beads are very good and so are the beads in the link below and that is what you see in the picture I posted. I have had both and love both. The Shilala beads cost a little more but don't seem to require as much maintenance. I always order a little more then suggested.

http://www.shilalasbeads.com/default.asp

As for temporary storage I would put as many as I could in zip lock bags or Tupperware container with a water pillow. I think you can get the water pillow at most cigar shops for a couple bucks. But for the week or so while you season your humidor I think they will be fine in bags.