Calling VW gurus

DaddyBuiltRacing

My dads buddy picked up a 98 VW Cabrio (5 speed) for next to nothing and brought it to me for some minor repairs. Apparently the previous owner of the car snapped the timing belt, replaced the timing belt and now car wont start. I have heard conflicting stories about these being interference engines. It has the 2.0 in it, my guess is that it is in fact an interference engine and the motor is wiped out. I can roll the motor over, but can't start it because the previous owner also ripped 2 plug wires in half.

Is this an interference engine? If so then what are the odds that the motor is totally trashed? I know on Hondas its hit or miss as I have personally seen 2 engines snap timing belts and run fine, however on my Integra I snapped a belt and bent valves.

What year engies fit in this thing? I have ben searching on vwvortex.com and I believe 97-01? But could be wrong.

The car also needs a sideskirt on the driver side along with a front lip and the front bumper lights (the ones in the very front). Any good leads to finding replacement parts such as these? Can even be a junkyard for all I care.

All help is greatly appriciated!!

My dads buddy picked up a 98 VW Cabrio (5 speed) for next to nothing and brought it to me for some minor repairs. Apparently the previous owner of the car snapped the timing belt, replaced the timing belt and now car wont start. I have heard conflicting stories about these being interference engines. It has the 2.0 in it, my guess is that it is in fact an interference engine and the motor is wiped out. I can roll the motor over, but can't start it because the previous owner also ripped 2 plug wires in half.

Is this an interference engine? If so then what are the odds that the motor is totally trashed? I know on Hondas its hit or miss as I have personally seen 2 engines snap timing belts and run fine, however on my Integra I snapped a belt and bent valves.

What year engies fit in this thing? I have ben searching on vwvortex.com and I believe 97-01? But could be wrong.

The car also needs a sideskirt on the driver side along with a front lip and the front bumper lights (the ones in the very front). Any good leads to finding replacement parts such as these? Can even be a junkyard for all I care.

All help is greatly appriciated!!

2.0 ABA motor is what you have... interference. IIRC the 2.0 shortblock is the same from 93-05 with changes to the manifolds 99 and up. They're fucking everywhere so don't bother trying to fix the one you have, just pick up another for pocket lint.

Cabrios didn't have side skirts, so if the rockers are trashed, you'd be welding in new ones from a donor car. All of these parts can be found at the pick-n-pull off of a MK3 which is essentially the same car as the cabrio, unless, you have a mk3.5.

Like stated, vwvortex.com's MK3 parts classifieds section is the best place to look online.

You could be right about the sideskirts, I just quick glanced at the car. I will give it a better look tonight. I found motors starting around $200 bucks so I think that is a much better option as well. I figured he'd have more in machine shop cost having the head fixed and praying the pistons weren't trashed as well from touching, on top of headgasket install cost and all that fun stuff.

Thanks for chiming in fellas!