good/cheap-ish dyno tune

Large

$450 is actually a very good price. I doubt you'll find anyone reputable to do it for less. Gotta remember you have to pay the guy tuning the car, as well as dyno rental which has to be enough cumulatively if, God forbid, that $100,000 tool breaks, as well as overhead on any software, computers, and electricity used during the process. If you broke it all down, $450 probably doesn't leave you with a whole lot of profit, when you, in return, get something that is priceless, ie; your car running reliably and safely and making good power. /rant/

^^^ this ^^^

what yr is your lt1? pcm for less is a good way to go for lt1 cars because of the obd1 and they have literally seen everything possible. they have good customer service and will get you pretty close to what you need. if you want something spot on then get it dyno tuned. i paid 530 for mine from ppc and brady was so detailed that i had to tell him that he was talking a whole different language after 15 mins. people who take that much pride in their work will go above and beyond for you. just my .2 cents, ppc or dyno tune brian.

The main advantage we have, in addition to multiple tuners that all know the GM platform VERY well, is a shop full of tech's that know how to work on them. I don't know you (OP) or your car so this isn't meant to imply it is anything short of a show-car, but *Many* LT1's we get in here for tuning need quite a few things done before they ever get anywhere near the dyno. Hopefully yours goes smooth as silk but if it doesn't, we can take care of any issue that might arise where-as other shops might be more limited in that dept.

Jeff

$450 doesn't sound bad for a good initial tune. My only gripe with my "vision" of tuners is the additional charge for more fine tuning down the road. Yes, there is an appropriate safety margin depending on the level of build, but I fear the bigger safety is the one for their wallet when a customer gets bored with whatever power level and wants more. $400-500 range sounds good though. You'd be lucky to get a basic reflash on an evo/wrx for that price.

IPS Prior customers and cars get cheaper prices. I think every tuner does that. There are time were we even give breaks if the car was tuned previously by a reputable tuner and we work from there basemaps.

Hes right on that. Since I've had my car down there before I have been taken well care of on parts and simple fixes.

As everyone here has stated $450 is the right about price esp for LT or LS cars.

I'll do it for $25.00. Results will be as expected.

Honestly though, 450 ain't bad. The point was already made, but its not a hobby. There is a reason its costs that much. The software for my car is custom written and I own it outright but I still have to pay for someone for their time.

The reason I assumed it was an expensive price is a few years ago when I built another car I had it tuned 3 separate times by a reputable tuner in Chicago for 250.also, other price quotes ive had from IPS have been downright insane.

Anyways, the car has a very solid 70k LT1 with headers and full exhaust,8.5mm msd wires, mild cam of unknown origin...supposedly a comp cams 503 but unsure since it was already in the car (the reason mail order tune is impossible) stage 3 clutch,stock gears.

450 isn't out of my budget, hell I don't have a budget,I just don't want to be ripped off.I just want a good tune to last me until I get my LE2 package and some 4.10s, then I'll get it retuned

The main advantage we have, in addition to multiple tuners that all know the GM platform VERY well, is a shop full of tech's that know how to work on them. I don't know you (OP) or your car so this isn't meant to imply it is anything short of a show-car, but *Many* LT1's we get in here for tuning need quite a few things done before they ever get anywhere near the dyno. Hopefully yours goes smooth as silk but if it doesn't, we can take care of any issue that might arise where-as other shops might be more limited in that dept.

Jeff

im pretty sure any reputible shop with a dyno also can handle any issues that arise....

im pretty sure any reputible shop with a dyno also can handle any issues that arise....

If you are shop that also has a dyno, sure. If you are a tuner that has a dyno but not a shop (Or more importantly tech's), different story.

That was the issue we (As a shop) had way way way back in the day when we took client's cars over to Brian's to tune. One little thing happened and we were screwed. Either pull it and bring it back to our shop to fix (Assuming it ran to get back) or have somebody drive all the way back, get tools, find parts, and drive back to Brian's while the car sat on the dyno running up a tab (It wasn't Brian's fault something minor happened). Something that takes us under 10 minutes to find/fix here easily took hours in that scenario.

For all I know Brian has guys working over there now so not saying that is the case any more, just that as a LT1 owner I would make my choice just as much based on who can diagnose issues / work on them as much as I would who can tune them. To be honest, this is also true of just about anything Pre "Mid 90s". I would say less than 10% of 3000GTs that come in here for tuning are able to make a single pull without "XYZ" needing done. If we had no clue how to work on them and only were able to tune them we would have 5-10 towed out every month lol.

Brand new cars (No matter what it is) you don't have to worry about any of that. Tune it and be done.

Jeff

I tried to search but the search option won't work on my Droid.

I called IPS and they quoted me $450 to dyno tube my car. I figured that price was a direct refection of their self view, so...where should I take my LT1 TA

If your complaining about a 400 dollar dyno tune, I would keep your car stock.

If your complaining about a 400 dollar dyno tune, I would keep your car stock.

Thanks for the kind words Steve.

$450 is a really good price!! You are just making a complete ass of your self right now. IPS is a great company and truly great friends. They stand behind there product or they wouldnt be holding a world record. :fuckyeah:

Thanks,

Eric

Thanks for the kind words Steve.

$450 is a really good price!! You are just making a complete ass of your self right now. IPS is a great company and truly great friends. They stand behind there product or they wouldnt be holding a world record. :fuckyeah:

Thanks,

Eric

Next time we go out, I'll make sure your throat is clear. Seems like your deep throat skills are going above and beyond the usual....

Jeff,i pm'd you back and scheduled a tune with Eric for middle of next month.he wanted me to get him a full mod list.us that something I can give to you or do I email it somewhere?

Which Eric? I couldn't get ahold of one of them after trying several times

IPS Tuners

Eric H : Lead Tuner \ AEM \ Hydra \ Ford \ GM \ Subaru \ Mitsu \ and much more

Eric S : Tuner & Highline Sales \ AEM \ GM \ Ford \ Dodge \ mitsu \ FIC-8 \ + more

Bill H : Part Time Tuner (Weekends&Evenings) \ AEM \ GM \ DODGE \ Subaru \ FIC8 \+more