school me on barrells..

SRTurbo04

Ok just picked up a remmington 870 off here.. what's the pros and cons or having a longer or shorter barrell? Ton of people keep saying to swap out for a 18.5...

mainly using this for skeetskeet and idk whatever else, no hunting.

Teach me as I'm a newbbbb

longer barrel = narrow spray cone for distance (good for skeet/hunting)

short barrel = wider spray, good for close range/home defense

Yes and no. That would mainly be the choke. I mean, a barrel that is 10" shorter is going to start spreading 10" sooner, but it has nothing to do with the actual pattern when judging distance from the barrel.

18" is manly for ease of manuverablity, weight, and a bit easier to "point and shoot"

Yes and no. That would mainly be the choke. I mean, a barrel that is 10" shorter is going to start spreading 10" sooner, but it has nothing to do with the actual pattern when judging distance from the barrel.

This. A longer barrel DOES NOT produce a tighter choke, contrary to misguided, popular belief.

Also there are rifled barrels for slugs so they shoot straight. I've fired slugs out of my smooth-bore and they were a little off at 20 yards.. any further would have been a big miss every time.

A little clarification:

Rifled barrels are for sabot'd slugs.

Smooth bore barrels are for shot and rifled slugs.

I stand corrected. I did a little research and it is just personal preference and the scatter doesn't really change until you start getting down to a 12" barrel (which I believe anything under 16" is illegal?).

Not so much illegal (unless you don't have the proper documentation), just restricted a bit more. There's some hoops you have to jump through, as well as money you have to pay, in order to obtain one.

This. A longer barrel DOES NOT produce a tighter choke, contrary to misguided, popular belief.

clay shooters such as myself call it "reach". That's why sporting clays and trap guys shoot guns with 32" barrels. That 6" over a 26" field barrel isn't going to change your general pattern, but it is going to travel 6" further before spreading.... if that makes sense.

Evan can tell you about his grandpa's turkey shoot gun, 48" barrel I think?

Longer barrel also typically means higher velocity which = equals more effective range and longer sighting radius so an increase in accuracy as well when dealing with a single projectile (slug). Shot is gonna do what shot does which is spread so choke will have the most effect on spread.

I have an 870 with 18.5 a home defense barrel that doesn't have the ability to change chokes. I believe it has what is called cylinder bore or (no choke) and it spreads like mad. If I fire #7 shot at about 7yrds it covers a 2.5-3ft target well. Not much penetration at that range, but you'd give someone a really bad day for sure. Not what I'd say is a clay shooting gun, but I do shoot and hit them regularly with it.