Anyone in Gahanna ever built a deck on their house?

Buck531

I'm wanting to put a porch on the front of the house this spring. I won't be that large just probably 15x8 or 9. My brother and I know what we want to do (he can build just about anything). I'm just unsure of the permits and such as I've never had to do anything like this before.

I called Gahanna building inspector guy last year and he basically said I need to come up with a drawing or what not on the hand rails, posts, etc. My brother and I were just going to throw it together (within the correct specs of course).

I guess I'm just not sure how the whole process works. Can anyone give me some insight on what actually needs to be done and/or help me fill out the paper work?

They just want to see it WILL comply with code... footer depths /spacing, rails if is high off the ground like Kevin said (If I recall it is 30" above grade). Then if there is a roof there will be a ledger, and water shield, ect...

Essentially you can just draw what you are going to build, so they can see it and approve it beforehand. You'll most likely have to get zoning clearance as well.

Rear decks can be different than a front porch for sure, since nobody really cares about the back.

Yes, we did. Built a two story deck ourselves (have walk out basement + door from the kitchen to deck) We didn't get any permits or anything though, they found out about it pretty quickly and started sending letters. After it was built they just inspected it and never heard from them again. Would suggest planning everything out and getting it approved first though.