Should we censor foul language?

Casper

114 members have voted

1. 1. Should we censor foul language?

• Yes, censor all foul language.
    • No, leave it the way it is.
    • Yes, but allow members to turn off censor.
    • I don't care.

This is a part of this thread: http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=23872

Language. I personally don't care if anyone swears on here. I've never really had any complaints except from Sonny and he isn't even on here anymore. However, should the option be there? Basically, I can set it to censor whatever words, and give the option to you the members to turn the censor off in the User CP. What do you think?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of censorship, but some people are a little more uncouth than others... I'd say make it an option. I won't use it, but it'd give some of the more "uptight conservative"-types the ability to censor for their own sake. The rest of the conservative types can still be asshats. :p J/k - peace and love.

Give the option. It will stop complaints. Actually, all new members should maybe start as censored, then have the option to turn it off? :dunno: this way we dont scare anyone away :D

But all of my posts would be:

*********** ** ********** ** a ********* goat ******** Fonzie ************** but sheep ***************

:lol:

Personally, I don't mind the swearing. I'm sure I do it just as much (ok, sometimes more) than others.

I think though, that people should have the option to censor the naughty words from what they read, IF they choose. The same thing should go for some of the more "risque" emoticons.

But then i guess I don't get what the point is. I mean, you basically know or can infer what was said. I guess if you're so offended by cursing, maybe forum life is not for you? Or maybe you need to find the Christian Riders forum?

I think as adults we can all infer what the intent was, even if the "word" (or part of it) isn't used, and I'm sure most people aren't offended either. If they were, I'm sure they're long gone from here.

Either way, some of us do have young children that occasionally pop in and read over our shoulders. It would be nice to have the "option" to have those things "off" or "on" as the case may be.

this is an option on another board I'm a member of, and it was actually pretty hilarious when the admins got done with the sensor...

we were having conversations about *manparts* cheney, and one of the admins even decided to turn "platypus" into *duckbeaver*.

I don't see the harm in adding a censor if some of the members want it, just have it default to off, and make all new members aware that it's available...

or yota's way where it defaults to on...whatever...