Car Cover Input Needed

KillJoy

I am wanting to get an Outside Car Cover for the Bug, since it will mostly live outside. I would like one that is locking (for whatever that is worth).

Knowing nothing about Car Covers, can you guys educate me / recommend a quality cover?

KillJoy

My suby is in starage for almost a year now. Had a custome cover made for it. Ran about $200. Locks with a cable around the bottom. Checked in on it after 6 months and very happy with it. I just googled and called a few places. Wish I could remeber who a went with.

Covercraft makes some of the best covers out there. Aren't cheap, gonna run $175 to $250 but well worth it IMO. They do have locking cables under if wanted. I have one for my Mustang and it fits like a glove and super soft. Underside of it is made out of the same stuff they make baby cloth diapers out of, super soft.

How much better is a locking one? I had a regular car cover (good quality one) with metal eyelets for tying it down with twine/rope. I ran a small chain at each end and locked one side down. I never got around to doing the other end (didn't have a lock the right size) and only used a chain clip. This was for the short time I had it at an outside storage lot.

Of course, someone could still cut if off, etc, but the harder it is, the less likely someone will screw with it.

It's basically the same thing. Threaded eyelets at the bottom of the cover and for a few extra bucks, get a steel cord that locks to go around the bottom. I never got that as mine is an indoor cover but would probably do that if stored outside.

Not only for security ( more so from somebody stealing a cover, if somebody wants in the car, they will just cut the cover ) but also in case of high winds. I doubt my cover would come off in a stiff wind but never hurts to double ensure.