Armor-All melting interior plastic?

zeitgeist57

I admit that I've used Armor-All/Advance Auto interior detailer products on my Passat in the past. After a year of road-warrior antics for work, I cleaned the interior til it was spic-n-span again recently. However, while the coffee stains and dirt came up easily, part of the plastic surface apparently came up as well. :mad:

The problem now is the shifter console plastic is "gooey" to the touch. If I rub it hard with my finger, part of the textured surface smooths out. I think it was considered a "soft touch" hard plastic surface. Could it just be age (2000, 132k miles), or is this why Armor-All is so shitty?

The dashboard is still fine. It's only the "soft touch" plastics on the door handles and around the center console.

I've had that happen with armor-all. Also, (t least with some VW/Audis) the lotions and tanning shit chicks put on their oh so sexy legs can really mess with the soft-touch finishes :( makes you wonder what it does to you skin LOL

That's VWs in general. It wasnt the cleaner. The steering wheel is next. It'll happen in the spring/summer when it starts to get really humid.

Came here to post this, my girlfriends cabrio is doing it too (02, 114k). Honestly cant say Ive seen many that haven't done this with age.

So...what do people use instead? Distilled water w/ li'l bit o' dish soap? Meguiars? Tiger blood?

http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Natural-Look-P34/16-oz-S1/

or

http://www.detailedimage.com/SONAX-M49/Dashboard-Cleaner-P541/250-ml-S1/

are my go-to products. Although there are obviously tons of others.

I like the Poorboys for older or more rubbery parts that need some moisture injection, and the Sonax for newer, harder, "high-tech" plastics.

PM me for a 15% off code for the detailed image site.