anyone use a credit union?

justmyluck

So my bank is stupid. Lost my credit card, took them a month to get me a new one. The branch was even rude to me when I went in to ask if there was a problem after 2 weeks of waiting for the card to come in the mail. Anyways, I hear credit unions are are place to be, but I don't know much about them. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go?

I deal with one just for my loan, got me the best interest rate by a large margin and always have very good service. As far as banking I know savings accounts at the one I deal with have a much better interest rate VS my bank.

Wow. A month?? I got my new card in 1 day from my bank when mine stopped working... I've got accounts all around town and one is with a Credit Union. They have good customer service, but they are a small shop. The credit union is where I park money that I don't need fast access to. It costs me money to get to my money from anywhere other than the Credit Union and they don't have many locations. They do have looser lending practices - they still give signature loans for customers with great credit.

Yes, I bank at the First Service Federal Credit Union. Have been with them for over a decade. The main one is in Groveport and there are branches in Hilliard and Pickerington.

Cons: there are only like three of them, so it's a pain in the ass if I ever have to go to one.

Pros: Everything else. Customer service is exceptional. I call, a person picks up - no automated run-around. Whenever I have had a problem, they solve it the same day. They've given me outstanding rates on car loans. I don't often have to go to the bank (most of my stuff is all direct-deposit, etc), so I'm not really that bothered by the fact there aren't 6000 branches in town.

If you want to know more, then I'd suggest calling Heather Oliver at 614.836.0100. I have worked with her on a lot of things and she's awesome - she should be able to answer any questions you have, or direct you to someone who can.

Yup. PenFed. Have to be military to get in though. Or some sort of government employee... :nod:

I'm a member, they have a credit card with awesome benefits. My wife and I put everything but our house payment on it and pay it off every month, we get $25-50 deducted from the bill and save on postage as well.

If you have a parent that has served, you can join.

My main bank is honda federal creit union, they are ok, but you have to be a honda employee or family member.

I've been with BMI ever since I used to work for Sarcom. BMI has never once ever given me reason to consider changing. I do most of my banking though at the Kemba in hilliard because it's a more convenient location. The only disadvantage I know to credit unions was that they were small with very few locations. With the credit union network though you can typically do any transaction for free at any credit union, so I've never once been somewhere I couldn't get cash or deposit a check. Credit unions are everywhere. My recommendation is to do it.

I'm a member, they have a credit card with awesome benefits. My wife and I put everything but our house payment on it and pay it off every month, we get $25-50 deducted from the bill and save on postage as well.

I have that same card. It was great, until they changed their rewards. No longer do you get 1% back on everything and 5% back on groceries. The 5% back on gas is the only decent part of that card now. So, I just got an Amex Blue Cash Preferred card that gets me 6% back on groceries, plus 1% back on everything else. Oh, and I got $150 back as soon as I spent $1000 in the first 3 months. I spent that my first day with it, as I bought my Hawaii plane tickets on it. :)

Oh, and another bonus it that card: I can use it at Costco now, so in addition to the 2% back I get with my Costco membership, I'm getting another 1% back with that card. Score... :nod:

I have never used one for daily banking, but I have used one for all my vehicle loans for the last 8 years.

First Service Federal Credit Union there in Franklin county is who I have used. While I don't like banks in general, this establishment has always been a pleasure to deal with.