1998 Range Rover

John Bruh

I bought one new in 98 and traded it just before the warranty ran out. I can't speak to problems that develop after that.

However, under warranty, MANY electrical components failed such as heated seats, power windows, lighting (not bulb related), rear window defrost. I never got anywhere near the EPA rated mileage.

However, it's an amazing vehicle with all the systems dedicated to keep you moving no matter what the conditions. I would keep in mind that it's not easy to find a mechanic knowledgeable about these who will work on them at a reasonable rate. Also, even though mine was serviced at the dealer (MAG), parts took a while to get and were pricey.

Hope that helps ya.

I almost bought one of those, but because every single one of those I looked at had a brokeass suspension I went with the Disco instead. RR's and Discos from that era both suffered from what is known as "The 3 Amigos", which is where your ABS, Brake & TC light stays on. It can be caused by a lot of things, all are already mentioned in here, electrical, ABS, etc.

The old Rover V8 (originally a Buick V8) does like to leak oil, and if I remember correctly it's a fan of blowing headgaskets. Some people have also had issue with the trans slipping. I've never had any issues with the Disco II I owned except for a bad O2 sensor.

"The 3 Amigos", which is where your ABS, Brake & TC light stays on. It can be caused by a lot of things, all are already mentioned in here, electrical, ABS, etc.

On the aforementioned friends RR, these 3 lights go off when the engine reaches operating temperature. Neither of us have any idea why though. :confused: