Thinking about spraying my GSXR 1000

DTM Brian

Trying to do some research to find out how big the fuel injectors are on my bike. Looking to only spray around 30-40 hp. I need something to keep up with those new liter bikes.:eek:

Any suggestions on a good dry kit to go with is appreciated.

^ true. Spray may be cheaper currently, but in the long run adding all the refills, etc, etc....it is more expensive. Mathematics makes a turbo cheaper too, but cheap horsepower for the current moment always makes it easier on the wallet in present time.:cool:

also a lot more time consuming and expensive

I'd disagree.

It really doesn't take that long to tear down and build a GSX-R motor. Pretty easy and straight forward. Sure it would take longer than installing a dry kit, but not THAT much longer.

More expensive? Initially, yes. I've seen plenty of lunched GSX-R motors from people spraying too much too often and not taking the time to build the bottom end of the motor.

A 30 or 40 shot every now and then isnt bad, but a 50 or more dry shot is way hard on those motors - clutch baskets especially. Long term use of even a 30-40 is hard on them too.

If you're going to spray, do a wet system, and build the bottom end to handle it. By the time you do that, the cost difference compared to a 3mm with a stroker crank isnt that great, and that set up is really bullet proof.

Screw the spray. Big bore kit. To do spray right, you need to tear down you motor and replace alot of the factory parts and you still can end up with motor damage. Plus you'll have a sleeper no one will think you've got anything but a stock bike.

Pssst............I'm putting a 1441 kit in mine soon

I'd disagree.

It really doesn't take that long to tear down and build a GSX-R motor. Pretty easy and straight forward. Sure it would take longer than installing a dry kit, but not THAT much longer.

More expensive? Initially, yes. I've seen plenty of lunched GSX-R motors from people spraying too much too often and not taking the time to build the bottom end of the motor.

A 30 or 40 shot every now and then isnt bad, but a 50 or more dry shot is way hard on those motors - clutch baskets especially. Long term use of even a 30-40 is hard on them too.

If you're going to spray, do a wet system, and build the bottom end to handle it. By the time you do that, the cost difference compared to a 3mm with a stroker crank isnt that great, and that set up is really bullet proof.

Again I say adding a kit with a small jet wet or dry isnt going to hurt anything. There arent many machine shops that can do motorcycle bottom ends and the ones that can are expensive, and if anyone says just slap a new set of pistons and rods in with no machinging your dumb.

Pistons and rods are anywhere from 600 to a 1000, add in machine work thats probably 600. If you going to tear the motor apart might as well port the head 1000 ( depending on quality), cams 500, ARP fasteners who knows, a good EFI system 600-1000, a good nitrous kit 1500 and I could go on.

Or he could slap a dry kit on there for 500 bones ( wet kit would be optimum but most bikes dont have the fuel pressure to handle it) and run it for awhile until the motor tanks and then he can just buy another motor for maybe 1000 bucks. Besides Brain has had MANY nitrous cars and if you have forgotten he is also a shop owner that tunes an array of things with spray on them.