junkyarding/emergency toolbox

copperhead

Not sure if I should say this or not but fuck it, if your looking to cheaply upgrade your audio system Woody's leaves them in the cars. Not to sound like a cheap bastard but there have been times when I went to get parts for teh lex and decided to browse the yard for about 5min. Wound up with probably $400 in aftermarket speakers (tweeters, 6X9's, 4" etc). Dude at the front counter looked at it all and said, "I don't know what the fuck this shit costs, gib me $35." - Woody's is teh shit.

I generally take a pipe about the size to fit into a tool box of 1" carpenters conduit (the thin metal stuff) that I can slide over the 3/8th ratchet if I need to get a stubborn bolt off.

If you know the car you're going to be picking parts off of, know the car, know the sizes, etc. I can take apart a 3800 with an 8, 10, 13, 15mm, and a 3/8th socket set pretty much.

I generally take a pipe about the size to fit into a tool box of 1" carpenters conduit (the thin metal stuff) that I can slide over the 3/8th ratchet if I need to get a stubborn bolt off.

If you know the car you're going to be picking parts off of, know the car, know the sizes, etc. I can take apart a 3800 with an 8, 10, 13, 15mm, and a 3/8th socket set pretty much.

And if you're looking for cheap shit go to harbor freight :). But I'm sure you knew that already.

Taking it a step further take like 10min and note down anything that could possibly need replacement. Not necc. mechanical parts but interior parts too. Started doing this years ago after I went to get a compressor for the Eldorado and happened upon a flawless matching interior set. You name it I got it, like an easy $700+ worth of parts for like $150. :lolguy:

That's the kind of shit I want to be prepared for, the whole "oh shit I wasn't looking for that but I can't pass it up." Since I'm looking for stuff for different make cars I have to assume a lot of the shit is different so I just want to be prepared for whatever.

Also, what is this Woody's you speak of?

That's the kind of shit I want to be prepared for, the whole "oh shit I wasn't looking for that but I can't pass it up." Since I'm looking for stuff for different make cars I have to assume a lot of the shit is different so I just want to be prepared for whatever.

Also, what is this Woody's you speak of?

Woody's & Cantley's are teh old skool yards, none of this "plu195" bull shit when you get to the register, they give the part a look and quote you a price (At least Woody's will). 40% chance they have what you need, although there inventory is random, shit changes everyday.

Should add that when you do find what you need you often get to cherry pick without hassle.

Also woody's has a live phone line, you call and ask for a part they will cross-reference it with everything in the yard and let you know what compatible vehicles they have. Hard to find when dealing with an "open" yards, usually they just have some recorded message.

Woodys is on McKinley, west of Central, near Buckeye Auto Parts. Cantley's is on Little...take 104/Frank rd west from 71, turn north on Brown, turn east on Little, it's at the end of Little.

Don't forget Edison's, on McKinley across from the COTA barn. They have some good cars occasionally. And that place by the auto shredder near Alum Creek and 104.

I'm wanting to piece together a smallish toolbox I can leave in the trunk for emergencies and be able to carry around junkyards. I'm not sure what would be worthwhile tools and what is just unneeded weight. Hauling 50 lbs of tools I don't need around a junkyard just doesn't appeal to me. So what I'm looking for is opinions on what to include and what not to. For example, do I go with a set of 1/2" drive sockets and 1/4" drive, or just compromise and go with 3/8"? Do I include a breaker bar if I go with 1/2"? Do I really need a wrench set if I have sockets? Things like that.

Mike; take it all.

Go to an army surplus shop and get an old Alice pack (LC-1 Field Pack). Take the bag off it and you're left with a metal frame with shoulder straps and back support that was DESIGNED to have equipment lashed to it. My junkyard toolbox weighs 80 lbs and I don't need no wheelbarrow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-purpose_Lightweight_Individual_Carrying_Equipment

• 5 weeks later...

bumping my old thread because I FINALLY got around to picking some shit up.

So far I got:

Craftsman Evolv 3/8 ratchet $15

32 piece screwdriver set $7, comes with a couple star and hex bits

51 piece socket set $10. The ratchets are seriously crappy which is why I got the craftsman. The case sucks too so I will probably end up with some socket rails.

Socket adapters $4 so I can skip 1/4" and 1/2" ratchets. 3/8" makes sense to me

1/2" drive 18" breaker bar $10 This is why I don't need a 1/2" ratchet

I tossed in a pile of random torx/hex bits I had laying around.

I still need a wrench set and a box that the breaker bar will fit in. I've got a random 18" box from O'Reillys but the breaker bar just barely doesn't fit in it. Harbor Freight didn't have crap for boxes or bags and Craftsman just lists smaller stuff. I'll probably be looking into Husky but I'm open to opinions.

I'll probably get this wrench set for $19 but again I'm open to suggestions.

Anything I'm missing?

So far I'm in it for about $45, not including wrenches and box. Not bad.