Performance Auto Spa Tint Review

ForeverMaker

Over the past several years I have had 5 cars tinted by various places. This time I wanted to try Performance Auto Spa out in Plain City, mainly because it is fairly close to where I work.

tint.jpg

My overall review is mixed...

The tint looks good. Edges are clean and close, lifetime warranty, etc. I am satisfied.

But there were a few red flags which raised an eyebrow.

1. They said I could pick any %. So I picked 30. When I showed up they said it was more like 35%. No biggie but still odd.

2. They took items out of my car, including a pair of expensive prescription sunglasses and didn't put them back in. Took me a few days to realize it. They never contacted me about it. Luckily they didn't lose them and are dropping them off to me today.

3. They did a wipe down with some sort of quick detailer on the front of the car (not sure why) and it came out really smeary.

4. They pushed Griot's products hard, and while most of their stuff is fine, there are a TON of better alternatives especially when you get into polishes, etc.

They are a Griot's supplier so they make big money off of selling and using their products. They SHOULD be pushing what is best for each individual car, not whatever they make the most off of.

Which would lead me to NOT recommend them if you are going to have a car detailed. Who knows what they are using behind the scenes, and which flavor of the week high-schooler will be back there doing the work. Yes, I am a bit biased, but I would have several recommendations of places/people over them.

Not to mention, they gave me some bunk advice on how to wash a car. :lolguy:

Edit: I forgot -- dropped car off at 9am. Said it was scheduled to be first car done in the morning. Pulled in at 6pm and they were still finishing it up.

Edited by ForeverMaker

$180 sounds good.

I was charged $250. The rear window looks to be even more challenging on vettes than on a RX7, but I am not a tint install expert. Quality Window Tint quoted me $325!

They also treated the exterior glass with some sort of super-repellant -- which they didn't need to do because it already had stuff on it, and gave me a bottle of auto glass cleaner. Maybe they thought I wouldn't notice the missing items from my car lol.

Great review. Sucks they tried " stealing" your stuff in hopes you wouldn't call them.

I swear by above and beyond tint because he schedules so you can hang out in the shop and watch him tint your car.

So many tint places I don't know about. Plenty of options to keep trying :)

Wow, sounds like a shitty tint place. BTW I got 15% all around mine.

Well for tint they aren't bad.. but beware of surrounding BS.

I love dark tint. 15% looks great on your car. However I just couldn't go darker than 30. I enjoy how you can see in a little but you still have a lot of privacy.

Well for tint they aren't bad.. but beware of surrounding BS.

I love dark tint. 15% looks great on your car. However I just couldn't go darker than 30. I enjoy how you can see in a little but you still have a lot of privacy.

that's my personal rule on tint, when i had my first honda it had 12% on the rear and you cant see shit at night good thing it was a del sol and i could roll the rear window down.

3. They did a wipe down with some sort of quick detailer on the front of the car (not sure why) and it came out really smeary.

dropped car off at 9am. Said it was scheduled to be first car done in the morning. Pulled in at 6pm and they were still finishing it up.

Lol, they had to use something to get the bugs off from the 160 pulls... In all reality I don't trust anyone with my camaro and its 12 years old. I cant imagine how nervous you were handing someone the keys(fob for you anyways) to your z06.

They most likely used Aquapell on the windshield as they sell it.

Yes they do push on the supported vendors products.

They have a stable staff, no flavor of the week hiring.

I used them on my current car, first time, they had it ready a few hours prior to when they promised.

They most likely used Aquapell on the windshield as they sell it.

Yes they do push on the supported vendors products.

They have a stable staff, no flavor of the week hiring.

I used them on my current car, first time, they had it ready a few hours prior to when they promised.

Yea it was Aquapell.

Maybe there was a lapse in service since their manager quit and they are looking for a new one.

So who did you use to correct the job they did on your car? :gabe:

I think I posted a review on this place on COS before.

Performance auto spa & True performance are red flag from me and my friends...

They messed up my Buddy's brand new GTR a year ago.

someone scratched my buddy's new gtr,

he takes it to trueperformance which I told him not to, (recommended him CSN motorsports)

TP could not match the paint 3 times on the GTR

the car had a bra done on the whole car prior to the accident,

so TP sends the car to Performance auto spa for the bra/detail

(TP still couldn't get the paint right)

they forget to put the emblem back on the rear

which they blamed TP, TP blames Performance Auto spa, TP gave him the emblem.

my buddy asks Performance auto spa to re-do the bra.

They refuse to do it, and talks him in to putting the emblem on the bra. lol

he says fuck it, just do it.

and they detailed the whole car after that.

Next day, bra peels off every edge.

I check out the car, smear marks everywhere, swirl marks everywhere. Looks like they didn't "detail" the car, rather just wipe the car down with quick detail thing.

In the end, both shops had his car for around a month, and still couldn't match the paint, nor they put the emblem back on, bra peeling off, shifft detail job.

He finally listened to me, and took it to CSN right down the road, Charlie Nestor fixes the paint, redid the bra, detailed the car.

I personally use/recommend people to use AAP on indianola for tint, bra

They did my 2 subies, AMG, old vette, buddy's 2 gtrs, Continental GT, 911 turbo, evo, they are all happy

MY COOL STORY

Do you know what film they use? Just wondering...

Film rolls are usually in 50%, 35%, 20%, 5%.

When you go into ceramic, they go 60%, 50%, 40%, 30%. I have 30% Madico Advance Ceramic on mine BTW.

Anyways, if you said 30%, you probably got 30% when everything is said and done. OEM windows contain minimal tint, so when you put any tint onto a window..it will always read lower than what is on there.

For example, on my past car (325xi) I had 35% put on and it metered in at 32%.

This car, I have 30% put on and I just metered it today when I was doing my clear-bra and it metered at 26%.

When I worked tinting windows...it was a big no-no to touch anything in the car. We usually told whoever that was bringing the car to take everything loose out with them. Usually makes life easy when you're crawling in the back for rear windows (or in your case trunk).

MY COOL STORY

wow what a disaster!

Do you know what film they use? Just wondering...

Film rolls are usually in 50%, 35%, 20%, 5%.

When you go into ceramic, they go 60%, 50%, 40%, 30%. I have 30% Madico Advance Ceramic on mine BTW.

Anyways, if you said 30%, you probably got 30% when everything is said and done. OEM windows contain minimal tint, so when you put any tint onto a window..it will always read lower than what is on there.

For example, on my past car (325xi) I had 35% put on and it metered in at 32%.

This car, I have 30% put on and I just metered it today when I was doing my clear-bra and it metered at 26%.

When I worked tinting windows...it was a big no-no to touch anything in the car. We usually told whoever that was bringing the car to take everything loose out with them. Usually makes life easy when you're crawling in the back for rear windows (or in your case trunk).

Good info. Thanks.