Service schooling....

mmrmnhrm

... why mess with what works.

Wait... you're on a car board and have to ask this??? :dumb:

Walking not fast enough? Use a camel.

Camel too slow? Upgrade to a horse.

Horse eats too much? Use a car.

Car still too slow? Invent the airplane.

Plane doesn't go high enough? Strap a couple rockets on the belly.

The whole point is to improve what you got (within reason, of course) :gabe:

I have the factory service manual if you have any questions on torque specs let me know.

I just turned 100k on mine did everything myself (haven't bled the brakes yet), if yours has the chain shouldn't need changed. They say to check it for stretch but its really not necessary if you are up to date with maintenance.

Spark plugs was mega easy. I went with Iridium NGK's They are expensive. Got the set of 4 from Ebay for $45 I think.

If OEM is NGK or Denso, then go with NGK or Denso for sure. Im a big fan of sticking with OE plugs (unless heavily modified). As for the brake bleeding its super easy. On most vehicles the theory is to start as far away from the master as possible so, right rear, left rear, right front, and left front is the way to go. If you are really uncomfortable with doing it yourself then I would recommend going to a shop.

And as for the comment about using honda atf, I certainly recommend it. Using other fluids wont damage anything quickly but, Ive seen the effects of it over a long period of time and it seems to be true mainly with shift solenoids wearing out for some reason. In my opinion its worth the extra cash. Ive also noticed weird things with using non honda powersteering fluid. Them hondas be picky yo. VTAK!

Edited by Cordell
not a sponser

Right... going around and starting to collect stuff to do it all myself. Two things I haven't been able to find yet....

- How much brake fluid do I need, and does that have to be Honda-special-sauce, or is any DOT-3 kosher?

- 100k seems an awful long time to still have factory-fill coolant, but I haven't found anything in the manual about the drain-fill interval on that. Anybody know what it should be, and how much I'll need?

Scott, Jason, what are your weekends looking like? I'll be in Cleveland on 5/13 and have a wedding 5/26, but otherwise I'm clear. No Ruth's Chris, mind you, but dinner is well worth the time, tools, and the possibility of Eli showing up and plotting some... adjustments.

your B1234 doesn't need a coolant change, its a 5 when that is due, the chain is lifetime unless you don't change your oil when needed, I've seen several TSX and RSX cars come in with stretched chains due to lack of oil changes, factory plugs are NGK and Denso both being Iridium plugs(go with factory parts you have a Hybrid car so you don't need performance parts), any dot 3 brake fluid will work, if you want some Honda brake fluid let me know I have some in the garage along with Honda coolant. Hybrid transmissions takes a special Honda CVT fluid, GO WITH THE HONDA FLUID ON THAT unless you can find a compatible replacement fluid(which I doubt), do NOT just use any ATF or you WLL be replacing the transmission Edited by SinisterSS

straight from the Honda IN for 2006 civic hybrid:

If the message ‘‘SERVICE'' does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.

NOTE:

Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).

Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.

Replace the brake fluid every 3 years (independent of the maintenance messages in the information display).

Symbol

Maintenance Main Items

A

Replace engine oil

Engine oil capacity without oil filter: 3.0 L (3.2 US qt)

B

Replace engine oil and oil filter

Engine oil capacity with oil filter: 3.2 L (3.4 US qt)

Check front and rear brakes

Check pads and discs for wear (thickness), damage, and cracks.

Check calipers for damage, leaks, and tightness of mounting bolts.

Check wheel cylinders for leaks.

Check brake linings for cracking, glazing, wear, and for oil or grease contamination.

Check parking brake adjustment

Check the number of clicks (8 to 10) when parking brake lever is pulled with 196 N (20.0 kgf, 44.1 lbf)

of force.

Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and gearbox boots

Check steering linkage.

Check boots for damage and leaking grease.

Inspect front suspension components and rear suspension components

Check bolts for tightness.

Check condition of ball joint boots for deterioration and damage.

Inspect driveshaft boots

Check boots for cracks and boot bands for tightness.

Inspect brake hoses and lines including ABS/VSA lines

Check master cylinder and ABS/VSA modulator-control unit for damage and leakage.

Inspect all fluid levels, condition of fluid, and check for leaks

Engine coolant

CVT fluid

Brake fluid

Windshield washer fluid

Inspect exhaust system*

Check catalytic converter heat shields, exhaust pipes, and muffler for damage, leaks, and tightness.

Inspect fuel lines* and connections*

Check for loose connections, cracks, and deterioration; retighten loose connections and replace

damaged parts.

NOTE: According to state and federal regulations, failure to do the maintenance items marked with an asterisk (᝗) will not void the customer's emissions warranties. However, Honda recommends that all maintenance services be done at the recommended interval, to ensure long-term reliability.

Maintenance Sub Items

Rotate tires, and check tire inflation and condition

Follow the pattern shown in the Owner's Manual.

Replace air cleaner element

If the vehicle is driven primarily in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

Replace dust and pollen filter

If the vehicle is driven mostly in areas that have high concentrations of dust, pollen, or soot in the air, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

Replace filter whenever airflow from the heating and air conditioning system is less than normal.

Inspect drive belt

Look for cracks and damage, then check the position of drive belt auto-tensioner indicator.

Replace CVT fluid

Capacity: 2.8 L (3.0 US qt); use Honda CVTF

Replace spark plugs

Use ILFR6J-11K (NGK) or SK20HPR-L11 (DENSO)

Inspect valve clearance (cold)

Intake: 0.15-0.19 mm (0.0059-0.0075 in), Exhaust: 0.24-0.28 mm (0.0094-0.0110 in)

Replace engine coolant

Capacity (including reservoir): 4.75 L (1.25 US gal); use Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2