Subaru/PUMA Rallycross Team

Rally Pat

Wish I had the cash to race in the GRC.

Looking at that lineup you can figure out who's the competitor and who're the showboats.

The entire Global Dudebrocross Championship is about money anyway. Everyone needs to read what Bill Caswell wrote about it today.

I'm not sure what to make of this. But I'm starting to think I'm not going to like this new Global Rally Cross series. I know I would rather see some privateers like Jimmy Keeney and Stephan Verdier running their cars as well - they were actually faster than some of the factory Subaru cars at X Games till Global Rallycross made their cars illegal to race this year - no E85 or electric diffs.

Stephan took his sponsors to Rhys Millen and will be in a Hyundai which should be fun to watch, but its really hard for me cheer for some of these factory teams, for a bunch of guys that fly in by helicopter and act all bad ass and burn up numerous sets of tires that a bunch of guys would kill for just so they could afford the season. I know it sounds backwards, but if I were BFG, I'd support the guys trying their hardest to compete, to live the dream, rather than than the guys that can simply buy them and dont seem to care that their tires are free. Maybe they do care, but I've never seen it.

Am I a little jealous? Maybe. But I'd rather see something a little more real, some racers busting their ass to compete and maybe if everything goes just right, win. Instead the whole Global Rallycross program has the wrong feel to me, like too contrived, like WWF. Yeah, the guys in the tights.

I guess Global Rallycross just doesnt seem that real to me. For example, the jump. Its the lamest part of the whole course, yet its in there because it looks good on tv - like WWF. Europe has a thriving rallycross scene, but no jumps. Its an american WWF, monster truck thing. If the tv ratings don't do well, start looking for fire explosions as cars cross the jump...

Also, I realize pro drivers dont wrench on their own cars in NASCAR or other big names series, but I promise you there are always a few teams struggling at the back of the grid where the driver is doing more than just helicoptering in and driving. Unfortunately, its not looking like we'll see any real struggles in GRC with all factory teams competing. Doesn't really seem right that there is not one privateer. But the first race is coming up soon. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I'm starting to think that companies spending a fortune on a video like this, when they could be supporting the kids that actually buy their cars, build them, and drag them to events themselves. I wonder how many season of rally could have been paid for with the cost to shoot this one video?

Seriously, anyone want to take a guess on how much Puma, BFG, and Subaru paid to put this out? I have no idea, but I bet its a lot.

He makes some good points. And I think a lack of grassroots support is one reason why the average motorsports competitor is aging.

But Subaru does have contingency programs in the SCCA. I could win 1200 at the National Championship. And any successful series needs factory teams and an audience. So I don't care about the jump that much, or that there are rockstar drivers.

But if it's all factory teams, then I can see there being a bad imbalance that could backfire on the series.