How many miles is considered "too much" when buying a diesel truck?

Rustlestiltskin

I'm looking at work trucks at the moment and came across some killer deals on newer high mileage turbo diesel trucks but i'm wondering if its worth it. Are these gonna need major overhaul around 200k? How good are Ford,chevy,dodge trucks til they need major maintance done? Right now I'm looking at a 2005 f250 turbo diesel that has 150k on it for cheap. I dont wanna be jumping on a truck like this just to hear it needs tons of shit done by 200k mile mark.

I've also found tons of newer turbo diesel trucks around 200k miles for cheap.

Just wondering if theres gonna be needing alot of work done soon.

The Ford's I worry about at higher mileage (flamesuit on) oil pumps aren't cheap to replace, front suspension isn't cheap to replace.

We service a E350 '05 with 351K on it.......but he recently had to have the above 2 things replaced at great cost.

The only thing I would be worried about with buying a diesel over 100k miles is past maintenance..

You can buy a ford, dodge, or chevy and if they didnt maintain it... It will break down fast. (probably why they would sell it cheap)

Im a cummins fan. Just my .02

I was reading Diesel Power magazine in the airport a couple of weeks ago, and they had a $3k early-'00s Silberado 2500 diesel. They ripped it apart, showed what to watch out for, and put it together again with perf parts on a budget. Very interesting article.

As long as the maintenance is up to snuff and an extensive test drive feelsgoodman, I'd feel pretty confident. Tires, brakes can add up if they are worn out and need replacing...

How cheap is cheap?