Copart Auto Auctions???

Flybye

Has anybody on here attended them? I am looking to possibly hit up some auctions very soon. I am in the market for a wrecked GTO/350Z/S2k/RX8/M3 etc etc. Looking for somthing I can fix up a little bit and turn into a track car.

I am also curious about something. If I buy a salvage title car does it HAVE to be inspected and labeled as rebuilt to drive legally? I have some good friends and family with body shops. I just haven't had th chance to ask them some questions yet.

The Copart place says they are on Mondays? Showing they have them in Columbus and Columbia Station. I am finding some really nice cars. I'm just afraid of how thorough the inspectons are to get a rebuilt title? Some of these wrecked font end ones I would just do a tube front on.

From what I understand the inspection is done by the state and they require receipts of all parts used to rebuild it so you prove you aren't using stolen parts.

So no partial tube chassis? :gabe:

The inspection process is basically needing to have a receipt from ANY part you replaced. If you replace motor/trans/fenders ect your receipt needs the Vin # on it also

If you reuse damgaged parts(ie pull out fix with bodno/glass ect) You dont need receipts

The Copart place says they are on Mondays? Showing they have them in Columbus and Columbia Station. I am finding some really nice cars. I'm just afraid of how thorough the inspectons are to get a rebuilt title? Some of these wrecked font end ones I would just do a tube front on.
IIRC they told me Fridays when I called a few months back, and thinking those are the days I've seen it packed. But I could be wrong

Cleveland Pick a Part has Gto's all the time. Its amazing how easy they are salvaged out anymore. They make the same amount parting them out anymore so they don't often sell them whole. Call there and talk with Gus, tell him what you want. Last time I was there a month ago there was a salvaged goat that had minor damage in my mind. Front bumper a bit into the radiator and driver fender, and that was it.

Inspections are done by State Troopers station.

Yes info is correct info so far. Dealing with OSP is a pain in the ass. It takes a few weeks to get an appointment for an inspection. You have have to the numbers off the salvage title before they will give you an appointment too. So you can get an appointment then switch the title etc. You are allowed to drive it to other counties besides Franklin County for an inspection, but beware there normally a 100 miles or more away. Oh the funniest thing is that they dont check for safety just stolen parts so duct tape is ok I guess lol.

The state inspection isnt that bad as long as you have all the receipts from the rebuild. Me and my dad bought two totaled acura integras, one hit in the back and one in the front. We just cut the cars in half and welded the two good halves back together.

Car passed inspection, however this was about 12-13 years ago.

You don't need a receipt for every little part on the car you replaced only the parts on the State's list and maybe if it's a part worth more than $100. The inspector isn't inspecting the car for road worthiness, he is looking for stolen parts. I went through this a couple years ago and its a breeze. The hardest part is getting an appointment within a month of you calling. The entire process lasted 30 minutes tops. You have to buy the inspection certificate at the BMV then call to make the appointment. The only inspection facility around Columbus is on Alum Creek Drive in the old SUN TV building.

I copied this off the BMV's web site. Hope this helps.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/salvage_inspection.stm

Before a self-assembled vehicle or a salvage vehicle can be titled in Ohio, an inspection of the vehicle must be completed by the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

The purpose of this inspection is to verify the ownership of all parts and to review all required documentation. The inspection is not intended to certify the vehicle's safety, road worthiness, or the quality of workmanship. Contact your local deputy registrar's office for fees involved. Anyone needing a vehicle inspection shall proceed as follows:

I.

Obtain an application for the inspection at any Deputy Registrar location.

II.

Telephone your local inspection location for an appointment. You must be prompt when reporting for the inspection to avoid being rescheduled.

III.

Present all required documentation for salvage inspections:

Ohio salvage title in the name of the person applying for title. Assigned titles and out-of-state salvage titles are not accepted.

Receipts for all replaced "major component parts" (listed below). This includes the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the source vehicle. If receipts are from a casual sale by an individual, they must be notarized. Photocopies of receipts are not acceptable.

The inspection officer may require receipts or documentation for any part of questionable origin (ORC, Section 4505.11).

The inspection receipt

Major Component Parts List *

Air Bag(s) Bumper Dash Deck Lid Doors Engine Frame

Front Fenders Hatchback Hood Rear Door Rear Quarters Transmission Tailgate

Receipts may also be required for any parts with a fair market value of $100.00 or more.

Any parts presented that are questionable or missing vehicle identification numbers are subject to seizure.

IV.

Documentation required for self-assembled inspections:

Titles, receipts, and documentation of the source for the replaced major component parts, which includes the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the source vehicle. If receipts are from a casual sale from an individual, they must be notarized. Photocopies of receipts are not acceptable.

The inspecting officer may require receipts or documentation for any part of questionable origin (ORC, Section 4505.11).

When "kits" are used, the manufacturer's certificate of origin must be presented.

The inspection receipt.

V.

Inspection Procedures:

The vehicle must be completely rebuilt and ready for highway operation.

Before either a salvage or self-assembled inspection is conducted, all receipts and documents will be examined. The inspection will not be completed if any are incomplete, incorrect, or missing.

The person presenting the vehicle for inspection will be permitted in the inspection area only when authorized by the inspecting officer.

The applicant may be instructed to remove certain body parts from the vehicle before arriving for inspection. During the inspection, it may be necessary to remove certain parts to allow examination of VIN's. It may also be necessary to leave the vehicle overnight.

Any vehicle or component part bearing a VIN or VIN derivative determined to be stolen/missing or altered will result in the vehicle being impounded and held as evidence and/or seized for forfeiture.

Failure to meet all the requirements as set forth above, will necessitate a rescheduling of the inspection.

The State of Ohio assumes no liability for any damage resulting from removing parts to permit examination or for any damage resulting from replacement of these parts.