*Update* On my R6...

FocusDave01

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very' date=' very loose statement. (finger's crossed)[/quote']

yeah thats all i can do really is cross my fingers and hope for the best..cause i just dont have money to throw around i put everything i had in just putting money down to get this bike i know for a fact i dont have another 1k to put into it...

Yeah good luck! Though "most of it" leaves a big window.

I think it's an escape plan; they probably figure that if it's not too expensive they'll take care of it, but if it's going to be really pricey to get the bike running again they'll give it back saying "We fixed most of it, except for the part that didn't work to begin with"

I think it's an escape plan; they probably figure that if it's not too expensive they'll take care of it, but if it's going to be really pricey to get the bike running again they'll give it back saying "We fixed most of it, except for the part that didn't work to begin with"

i am going to stop up there late afternoon, service manager told me that as far as they will get in the motor they should have an answer so i want to be there, i just dont want them to be rushed and mess something up but then again i dont want to be out half the season cause it takes to long, again i have faith in them, aaron signed up on the forum, and i know for a fact he has been watching this thread...he just wants to be given the chance...so ill give it to him..

Well, there's only so many places oil can get into the combustion chamber from. Either past the rings, through the valve seals, damaged head gasket or through the intake via a PCV/PAIR type valve.

Valve seals usually smoke at idle, and low RPMs, and will clear up at higher RPMs. the springs are going to fast at mid/high rpms to allow as much oil to just sit around them. Not to mention they are not in a place where they would be holding back any actual pump pressure, just whats lying around inside the top of the head.

High rpms sounds like a cracked ring/rings, at low RPMs the pressure in the crank case is minimal and it would smoke some, but not severly. At high rpms, especially what a small cc sport bike is capable, the crank case pressure is quite high (relatively speaking) and that would, along with the fast moving rings not wiping as well, However, if this is the case. I have a hard time believing that the plugs are not dripping oil when they are pulled. I've cracked rings before and it was quite obvious which cylinder was burning oil... Still have no idea where that chunk of ring went, wasn't in the engine anywhere...

This leads me to ask, is there a crankcase vent that is somehow, attached to the exhaust? Normaly they are attached to the intake box, but I know there are systems out there that utilise the vaccuum from the exhaust to suck the crankcase. this would also make sense in a sportbike since oil will lower the octane rating of your gasoline if it is sucked into the combustion chamber.

Also if it were sucking that much oil into the intake box, you'd be pouring it out when you pulled it off.

With all cylinders within 5% on a leak down test, no oil in the intake tract, and no oil on the plugs I'm leaning towards the exhaust evacuation.

did this happen to start after an oil change? I'm wondering if there is a possiblity that your not leaking oil, but maybe it's being sprayed out under the higher pressure of high RPMs out of either a small pin hole in the filter, or around the gasket if it was double gasketed, or maybe a tear or other imprefection in the O ring and spraying it straight onto the header, and since your at high rpm, moderate to high speed, your not noticing that it's burning ON the exhaust, instead of THROUGH it? Is there oil in the mufflers? have you taken the exhaust off?

Edited by Dweezel

Well, there's only so many places oil can get into the combustion chamber from. Either past the rings, through the valve seals, damaged head gasket or through the intake via a PCV/PAIR type valve.

Valve seals usually smoke at idle, and low RPMs, and will clear up at higher RPMs. the springs are going to fast at mid/high rpms to allow as much oil to just sit around them. Not to mention they are not in a place where they would be holding back any actual pump pressure, just whats lying around inside the top of the head.

High rpms sounds like a cracked ring/rings, at low RPMs the pressure in the crank case is minimal and it would smoke some, but not severly. At high rpms, especially what a small cc sport bike is capable, the crank case pressure is quite high (relatively speaking) and that would, along with the fast moving rings not wiping as well, However, if this is the case. I have a hard time believing that the plugs are not dripping oil when they are pulled.

This leads me to ask, is there a crankcase vent that is somehow, attached to the exhaust? Normaly they are attached to the intake box, but I know there are systems out there that utilise the vaccuum from the exhaust to suck the crankcase. this would also make sense in a sportbike since oil will lower the octane rating of your gasoline if it is sucked into the combustion chamber.

Also if it were sucking that much oil into the intake box, you'd be pouring it out when you pulled it off.

With all cylinders within 5% on a leak down test, no oil in the intake tract, and no oil on the plugs I'm leaning towards the exhaust evacuation.

did this happen to start after an oil change? I'm wondering if there is a possiblity that your not leaking oil, but maybe it's being sprayed out under the higher pressure of high RPMs out of either a small pin hole in the filter, or around the gasket if it was double gasketed, or maybe a tear or other imprefection in the O ring and spraying it straight onto the header, and since your at high rpm, moderate to high speed, your not noticing that it's burning ON the exhaust, instead of THROUGH it? Is there oil in the mufflers? have you taken the exhaust off?

these are all really good points i must say... however the bike is in there hands now and im just goin off what they tell me, as you read they said the plugs werent bad but werent new..it passed the leak down test..the air box was clean...and the bike only smokes and burns oil at high rpms...the coolant level is fine no leaks or bubbles when revving..now to answer your exhaust question I dont know...the tip is pitch black as it is burning bad...i dont know when they changed oil but I know they did then the bike sat...I assume they would look through the exhaust as they take down the engine..but whether thats the problem we will see..but I really appretiate the input sounds like you know your engines..o and they did get ahold of yamaha and yamaha i guess was kinda shocked but told them to tear her apart...we shall know and see tomorrow..

i am going to stop up there late afternoon, service manager told me that as far as they will get in the motor they should have an answer so i want to be there, i just dont want them to be rushed and mess something up but then again i dont want to be out half the season cause it takes to long, again i have faith in them, aaron signed up on the forum, and i know for a fact he has been watching this thread...he just wants to be given the chance...so ill give it to him..

Kudos to him for being so hands-on :)

that's what she said.

............................................________........................

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................

.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............

.........................,/...............................................”:,........

.....................,?......................................................\,.....

.................../...........................................................,}....

................./......................................................,:`^`..}....

.............../...................................................,:”........./.....

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....

............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........

.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........

..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........

...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............

...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............

............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................

.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........

,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....

.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................

...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................

................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......

........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............

...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

Good luck and hopefully it isn't an expensive repair for you or the dealership. Nobody wants to have upset customers and have a reputation for selling garbage. Finger's crossed that it is something easily remedied and both parties come out on top.

Also' date=' I am pleased to hear the owner is taking a personal interest in this incident. That says a lot about his store and his customer service, albeit a bit behind schedule but that happens sometimes.[/quote']

yeah i hope so to...and i agree what you say about the owner...little trust goes a long way...on both sides as well....

So what's up Dave? They have any updates for you yet? They said they were going to drop the motor awhile ago....

well they where gonna do it last firday but wanted to get ahold of yamaha first incase it was something stupid...however yamaha was out that day (being good friday) so they had to wait till monday to hear from them...as of yesterday yamaha told them to start tearing the motor down and talked to the service manager and he said by late afternoon they should know whats def wrong with it...xross's fingers...

hey dave i know the guys who race for that shop! I have rode with one of them many many times! That motor should be out today!

ahh thats awsome man, you get there wera numbers? i know that aaron said they had a banner and all at the next big event. that the one your going 2?