Dox Recap of 2012 Rally Dixie

Doc1647545523

I'm really glad more CR members took part of the rally this year. Just reading the stories and seeing all the pictures makes me pretty upset I didn't get the chance to go this year. Normally I can get away with putting classwork off for a week, but this year the rally fell directly on my testing days for my finals, and really had no choice of going.

That being said, I'm also very happy everyone had a blast and it's probably pretty obvious why this is a repeat thing for Doc and I the past few years. You make some great friends along the way, and great stories to tell for years to come. I plan on making next year's rally, and hopefully everyone who participated this year will do the same!

I've been turning on my windshield wipers alot since I've been back

I want to do this next year. Gotta find a co-driver though.

Since I was just the replacement for Farkas I should be free

Day one, Justin and I ran into Aaron and his super cool wife in their GTI early in the day. They gave us a quick correction and then we hung and ran together all day to find all the points.

We made some great calls on traffic and routes. It help tremendously having 2 iPhones searching the net, and Garmin running routes, once we found where our check points were. Justin was pretty awesome running all of that.

Justin's skill wasn't finding the checkpoints, that was fairly easy. His skill was finding ways to get there faster. My wife usually found the address within the same general time as Justin, and was searching for any "better" routes when we get a text that say, "we got this, follow us" lol. And he did. Some of the roads he was able to locate using his Iphone weren't even indicated on Google, or Garmin in our car.

I think we could have done very well on day 1 without his help (top 10 maybe), but he certainly pushed us over the edge to be in 4th place!

Don't take my statements above as a knock, as they are certainly not. The opposite in fact. It is the small things like the gravel road here, a turn there that make or break your times. He rocked it out.

Aaron can drive his ass off in that GTI. Huge props to him. For not knowing you at all before this, I was impressed every time I checked my mirrors for him. Some corners, I didn't know how I made it through them, yet the GTI was right there.

:fuckyeah:

I know from experience that leading a drive like that is far harder than following. You were taking all the chances, I just had to stay glued to your bumper. It was a blast without a doubt!

Maybe Kyle can post some video of our run in Mexico on Day 3!

When I read about this from Doc 2 years ago, I said I was going to do that. Then he posted last year and I was out of the country. When registration opened in December of 2011, again Doc posted to let people know. I was not letting this go by again, and registered and made it a priority. 2 weeks after coming home for over seas, I'm at the rally start point. Having now done the event, it was exactly what I needed and wanted. I'm an excitement junky and this event actually gave me balance. It's now after the event, and my girl (she flew in and met me in FL) left from FL to travel more on the road. We are doing another 1500 miles of driving, but what I noticed is the calm I have and how much I love setting the cruse control. haha

The rally had me feeling alive and loving the challenge. Now I can chill with my girl and enjoy a vacation with her. Just feels pretty awesome and anyone interested in it, I highly recommend you commit to yourself and make this happen. Plan around it and you will love it.

• 4 months later...

I thought I would revive the Rally bug. They just released the Short movies for each day of the rally. They are linked below.

More importantly, Rally registration is now open for next year, Rally New England.

Details on the Rally and how to register are here: http://forum.rallynorthamerica.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=963&sid=cf6964677ec7a69c752ac4b0b42b4527

I know there are 2 Columbus teams already. Slots for this will fill up fast. They only take 80 teams, and they are at about 60 now.

Here's my thread on here about the New England Rally http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107095&highlight=rally

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Edited by Mojoe

I thought I would revive the Rally bug. They just released the Short movies for each day of the rally. They are linked below.

More importantly, Rally registration is now open for next year, Rally New England.

Details on the Rally and how to register are here: http://forum.rallynorthamerica.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=963&sid=cf6964677ec7a69c752ac4b0b42b4527

I know there are 2 Columbus teams already. Slots for this will fill up fast. They only take 80 teams, and they are at about 60 now.

Here's my thread on here about the New England Rally http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107095&highlight=rally

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Thanks for posting these videos. That looks like it would be a ton of fun. I need to get a fun car and the wife and do one of these sometime.

Edited by CementHead

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

I've only made it through day 1 and half of day 2. Thanks Joe.