Victory Red Z06 40-Hour Detail

ForeverMaker

This thread will be used to update the detailing progress of my Z06. Depending on my schedule this may take several months and may not be completed until Summer 2013. I have planned it out and it will take over 40 hours.

Overview shot from IPS:

7421748264_5d4ba1e481_c.jpeg

Close-up of the wheels:

DSC_1041.JPG

--------------------------------------

Part I: Rear end/tail lights

Aside from the many deep swirls and scuffs in the car from the previous owner, the one aspect that has been driving me crazy is the grime on the rear of the car. I wanted to address that first.

Built-up grime around the emblem:

DSC_0845.jpg

Lights need some love:

DSC_0852.jpg

DSC_0853.jpg

Emblem and one light off. Clayed, and hand-polished around the inner circles to remove the grime. Cleaned wires and connectors.

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0858.jpg

Scratches

DSC_0859.jpg

After 2 stages of polishing. (Sealant in the pic but I actually used Sonax Wax)

DSC_0864.jpg

DSC_0867.jpg

Tough to see, but the light on the right is complete. it has much more depth, clarity, and gloss:

DSC_0868.jpg

Complete:

DSC_0880.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

Next up... dealing with this..

DSC_0839.jpg

Taped and ready to go

DSC_0871.jpg

I just did some spot-testing and played around with Sonax Perfect finish. So no major correction yet. More to come on that later...

Edited by ForeverMaker

As posted in another thread, for the wheels I did multiple coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

IMG_0415.JPG

About a month later it is holding up nicely. Definitely makes cleaning a lot easier and the multiple coats were worth it. I will using this through next year and transitioning to a glass coating which should last a lot longer.

Just a question, if it is going to take over 40 hours to detail it, and you will not be finished for a year, won't it need washed again by the time you are finished?

KillJoy

Yes it will be washed before every time I work on it. Hopefully it will be 95% done by end of August -- but I will be always testing stuff on it, etc. so that will be ongoing through next year and beyond.

As posted in another thread, for the wheels I did multiple coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

IMG_0415.JPG

About a month later it is holding up nicely. Definitely makes cleaning a lot easier and the multiple coats were worth it. I will using this through next year and transitioning to a glass coating which should last a lot longer.

isnt it better to use less than to use more

isnt it better to use less than to use more

good question. according to Poorboys they recommend 2 or even 3 coats for better results. for a wax, there generally are diminishing returns for multiple coats, but apparently more coats = better for this stuff.

To test that out my method was as follows -- On the outside spokes: 1 wheel got 1 coat, 2 wheels got 2 coats, and the 4th wheel got 3 coats. (the inner barrels got 2 coats.)

So I will see over the course of the summer and fall how it goes.. but yes 1 coat should be fine for most uses. That is all I apply when doing a typical detail job.

good question. according to Poorboys they recommend 2 or even 3 coats for better results. for a wax, there generally are diminishing returns for multiple coats, but apparently more coats = better for this stuff.

To test that out my method was as follows -- On the outside spokes: 1 wheel got 1 coat, 2 wheels got 2 coats, and the 4th wheel got 3 coats. (the inner barrels got 2 coats.)

So I will see over the course of the summer and fall how it goes.. but yes 1 coat should be fine for most uses. That is all I apply when doing a typical detail job.

Just wondering Car looks good Wheels also

Great thread Ryan, I don't think alot of people really understand the time investment to really take something to that next level and make it as close to perfect as possible. Documenting as you go will be outstanding to watch.

I still haven't got the Porsche done and I started it over a year ago :D. Worst part is every time I go to the track it comes back covered in rubber and the areas that are not yet complete get pushed back further and further. Oh well, enjoying them is half the fun.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Spent about 14 hours this weekend working on the paint. The entire rear end had to be hand-polished to get all those little tar specks off. Claybar and machine polishing was not cutting it.

After some orange pad + 105 action I decided to try out a product that isn't available retail yet...

http://i.imgur.com/o4vO2.jpg

Sonax Perfect Finish + a white pad with a DA delivered simply amazing results on this hard clear-coat. It has the workability and ease of use of Sonax Paint Cleaner but a cut that I just cannot believe. I did the entire car and was able to achieve around 60% correction from a FINISHING polish. This product truly is a game-changer for the industry.

Topped off with Sonax Wax. On to the photos...

DSC_1005.JPG

DSC_1008.JPG

DSC_1001.JPG

DSC_1002.JPG

DSC_1006.JPG

DSC_0989.JPG

I am at a good spot now with the car now and looking forward to a complete correction possibly this winter!

Next update will be interior and leather treatment.

Glad to see you making more progress, I'm with you on waiting till winter to make it completely right.

Have you tried the M101 yet? Last 'Vette I worked on I used M101 with Surbuff pads via D/A and had just as good of results as I would have with a rotary and wool. I'm not totally sold that M101 is worth the price for anything other than the hardest of the hard clears when M105 is soo "reasonable", but it was a life saver on that particular vette.

...however you should have brought the thing to Nelson Ledges instead and got it all dirty and THEN claned it.

there's like one dude on Autopia that can get it, it's a european only delivered product from Meguiars. Quarts are like $75 shipped!!!...for a quart!!! not again, I tried it, it was nice, it's not $75 nice. Search for M101 and you'll find the one long thread.

Only polish I'll ever sack up big money for again is Menzerna PO85RD...to me that stuff is totally worth it when working with dark colored cars, otherwise I just cant' see it.

Shoot me a PM with more details on the finishing polish you used, love to hear more about it.

Andy