Anyone ever have a Arthrography MRI

KennyFKINPowerz

Has anyone ever had an Arthrography MRI done? I went to my Orthopedic yesterday and he said that I have a torn Hip Labrum and I am going to need surgery to repair it. I have to have one of these MRI's done on Thursday to see how bad it is. From what I read online, they take a 20gauge needle and go all the way through my hip and in to the joint itself, to fill it with dye for the MRI. Im more nervous about that then I am about the damned surgery.

Has anyone ever had an Arthrography MRI done? I went to my Orthopedic yesterday and he said that I have a torn Hip Labrum and I am going to need surgery to repair it. I have to have one of these MRI's done on Thursday to see how bad it is. From what I read online, they take a 20gauge needle and go all the way through my hip and in to the joint itself, to fill it with dye for the MRI. Im more nervous about that then I am about the damned surgery.

you'll be fine. wait and see what the mri shows before you get excited about any potential surgery. there are very few people i would trust to scope my hip. i'm sure scott has some connections to columbus surgeons--so do i. consult with either of us before you let someone stick a scope in your hip--lots of potential complications can occur from this procedure even if done perfectly.

I am seeing Dr. Wilcox at Cardinal. He said that there are only 3 people in the state that are actually doing this surgery and one of them works at Cardinal. I am assuming that is who he is going to refer me to. He mentioned his name yesterday while we were discussing this but it has slipped my mind. I was kind of wondering about this last night too. Dr. Wilcox made it sound like it was not that big of a deal but my point of view is your hip is a pretty major part of your body and how you function on a daily basis. I would assume that you have to be pretty careful in there. Not to mention what kind of condition am I going to be in, in 20 years. Im 36 now so I have to count on this hip for a long time. I dont want to be suffering at 55.

you'll be fine. wait and see what the mri shows before you get excited about any potential surgery. there are very few people i would trust to scope my hip. i'm sure scott has some connections to columbus surgeons--so do i. consult with either of us before you let someone stick a scope in your hip--lots of potential complications can occur from this procedure even if done perfectly.

Lets see what the MRI says, then we can talk.

I am seeing Dr. Wilcox at Cardinal. He said that there are only 3 people in the state that are actually doing this surgery and one of them works at Cardinal. I am assuming that is who he is going to refer me to. He mentioned his name yesterday while we were discussing this but it has slipped my mind. I was kind of wondering about this last night too. Dr. Wilcox made it sound like it was not that big of a deal but my point of view is your hip is a pretty major part of your body and how you function on a daily basis. I would assume that you have to be pretty careful in there. Not to mention what kind of condition am I going to be in, in 20 years. Im 36 now so I have to count on this hip for a long time. I dont want to be suffering at 55.

probably ken westerheide. he's a sports surgeon, and trained at the same fellowship in LA where my partner trained--and he does hip scopes occasionally. pretty difficult to make the diagnosis of a labral tear based on exam alone--x-rays won't show you anything. if i tore my labrum tomorrow, i'd be tempted to try a cortisone injection into the hip joint and some rehab. if the labrum is torn, it is likely irreparable--the scope simply removes the tissue so it doesn't get pinched inside the joint (kind of like having a rock in your shoe)---it may not alter the progression of arthritis in the hip joint. i'm assuming you had a traumatic injury to the hip, and are having tons of groin pain. if the mri shows a labral tear, let us know.

there's more than 3 people in the state who scope hips, but maybe 5 surgeons in the state who can do it WELL.

probably ken westerheide. he's a sports surgeon, and trained at the same fellowship in LA where my partner trained--and he does hip scopes occasionally. pretty difficult to make the diagnosis of a labral tear based on exam alone--x-rays won't show you anything. if i tore my labrum tomorrow, i'd be tempted to try a cortisone injection into the hip joint and some rehab. if the labrum is torn, it is likely irreparable--the scope simply removes the tissue so it doesn't get pinched inside the joint (kind of like having a rock in your shoe)---it may not alter the progression of arthritis in the hip joint. i'm assuming you had a traumatic injury to the hip, and are having tons of groin pain. if the mri shows a labral tear, let us know.

there's more than 3 people in the state who scope hips, but maybe 5 surgeons in the state who can do it WELL.

Actually the funny thing is that I didnt do anything traumatic to it. I was sitting down on the ground to change a tire and about half way down I felt this shooting pain that kinda made me fall the rest of the way down. I figured I just tweaked something and it was no big deal. So for about the last 2 months it has only hurt if I move a certain way or sit Indian style on the ground. In the last 2 weeks it has stared getting worse. So I finally decided to get it checked out. The range of motion in my left leg is now about 1/4 of what my right leg is.The Dr. showed me with a model how my hip may have just been in a wrong position when I went to sit down and it kinda popped out a little and tore the labrum. Everything that I have read online says that the cortisone injections have a very low success rate for torn labrums. The doc did say that they may be able to sew the tear but in most cases they just cut it out. It is getting more painful every day though. It is still bearable but things like getting in and out of the car or sitting at work or stairs makes hit hurt pretty bad. Its starting to kinda pop now when I move certain ways and then its sore for hours.

Actually the funny thing is that I didnt do anything traumatic to it. I was sitting down on the ground to change a tire and about half way down I felt this shooting pain that kinda made me fall the rest of the way down. I figured I just tweaked something and it was no big deal. So for about the last 2 months it has only hurt if I move a certain way or sit Indian style on the ground. In the last 2 weeks it has stared getting worse. So I finally decided to get it checked out. The range of motion in my left leg is now about 1/4 of what my right leg is.The Dr. showed me with a model how my hip may have just been in a wrong position when I went to sit down and it kinda popped out a little and tore the labrum. Everything that I have read online says that the cortisone injections have a very low success rate for torn labrums. The doc did say that they may be able to sew the tear but in most cases they just cut it out. It is getting more painful every day though. It is still bearable but things like getting in and out of the car or sitting at work or stairs makes hit hurt pretty bad. Its starting to kinda pop now when I move certain ways and then its sore for hours.

you don't lose anything by trying the cortisone first. this is what i do for a living--not to be rude--but don't necessarily believe everything you read online. not everyone can be a doctor with just 5 minutes of web browsing. i've never seen a reparable labral tear--especially one where there was no trauma involved in someone your age. the pain you're experiencing could be coming from the tear itself--or all the inflammation in the hip resulting from the tear. calm the inflammation down, and the tear may not be symptomatic. cutting the torn piece out (which is 100% what will happen) will not prevent you from getting arthritis if the tear is large, and it won't re-grow the cartilage.

i've seen my share of hip scopes where the patient ends up with a nerve palsy, or scuffed femoral head. the surgery is not without risks. lets see what the mri shows

you don't lose anything by trying the cortisone first. this is what i do for a living--not to be rude--but don't necessarily believe everything you read online. not everyone can be a doctor with just 5 minutes of web browsing. i've never seen a reparable labral tear--especially one where there was no trauma involved in someone your age. the pain you're experiencing could be coming from the tear itself--or all the inflammation in the hip resulting from the tear. calm the inflammation down, and the tear may not be symptomatic. cutting the torn piece out (which is 100% what will happen) will not prevent you from getting arthritis if the tear is large, and it won't re-grow the cartilage.

i've seen my share of hip scopes where the patient ends up with a nerve palsy, or scuffed femoral head. the surgery is not without risks. lets see what the mri shows

Oh I am not arguing anything with you. I am just passing on what I was told and what I have been able to find out about it online. I appreciate your guys advice. You guys both do this for a living so informing me of everything is very much appreciated. I am pretty worried about future hip problems as a result of this so I am definitely gonna weigh all the options. Like you guys said, I need to see what the MRI shows first. I am having it done tomorrow at noon and have an appt to get the results on Tuesday.

Well that was one of the most unpleasant things that I have ever experienced. Needle through the groin and in to my hip joing. Then an hour of the most painful position that they could have had me in. Glad its over and I never wanna experience that again. Watching the needle in my hip on the xray machine was pretty cool though. Results on Tuesday.

Well that was one of the most unpleasant things that I have ever experienced. Needle through the groin and in to my hip joing. Then an hour of the most painful position that they could have had me in. Glad its over and I never wanna experience that again. Watching the needle in my hip on the xray machine was pretty cool though. Results on Tuesday.

Ouch, can't wait to hear results.

Mobic/naproxen/voltaren/ibuprofen are your friends. Arthritis is defined as the breakdown of the protective (cartilage) covering of the bones in any joint. In the hip, the femoral head (ball) and acetabulum (socket) get damaged with aging, injuries, etc---and have very little ability to repair themselves. The easiest way to identify 'arthritis' in the hip joint is through regular x-rays (seeing decreased space between the ball and socket). If the original surgeon you saw did not comment on significant narrowing between the two surfaces, then the severity of the arthritis is likely quite mild.

If you're truly dedicated to making this hip last as long as possible----

Get as close as you can to ideal body weight

Focus on low impact exercise----walking, elliptical, swimming, cycling

Avoid heavy impact, collision sports, etc

Use anti-inflammotory medication when needed

Hold off on any surgery until the hip bothers you every single day with routine daily stuff and is SIGNIFICANTLY affecting your quality of life

Mobic/naproxen/voltaren/ibuprofen are your friends. Arthritis is defined as the breakdown of the protective (cartilage) covering of the bones in any joint. In the hip, the femoral head (ball) and acetabulum (socket) get damaged with aging, injuries, etc---and have very little ability to repair themselves. The easiest way to identify 'arthritis' in the hip joint is through regular x-rays (seeing decreased space between the ball and socket). If the original surgeon you saw did not comment on significant narrowing between the two surfaces, then the severity of the arthritis is likely quite mild.

If you're truly dedicated to making this hip last as long as possible----

Get as close as you can to ideal body weight

Focus on low impact exercise----walking, elliptical, swimming, cycling

Avoid heavy impact, collision sports, etc

Use anti-inflammotory medication when needed

Hold off on any surgery until the hip bothers you every single day with routine daily stuff and is SIGNIFICANTLY affecting your quality of life

The exact diagnosis was Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. He wants me to do PT and he did perscribe me Mobic. I am 6' and 210 lbs and I work out 4 days a week up until I hurt my hip probably 2 months ago. I was tellilng sledhead that I would have thought this was something that woould have gradually came on and not all the sudden at once. It is slightly uncomfortable recently, which may just be in my head since all of this started with the doctor. However it mainly only hurts when I make certain movements. Getting in and out of my car and having to climb over the roll cage is awful.