Android Question

Orion

Is there a way for someone to "Reformat" an android phone, in the way that you would a computer? I have stuff on here that I do not want.

Yes it is called a system wipe. It reverts back to out of the box settings and no google account is logged into the phone. Many different ways to do this. What exact phone do you have? Is it rooted?

Yes it is called a system wipe. It reverts back to out of the box settings and no google account is logged into the phone. Many different ways to do this. What exact phone do you have? Is it rooted?

It is not rooted, but as I understand what rooting is, I would like it to be. Just to be sure, rooting takes all of the useless bloatware shit off of the phone, right?

I have Droid Razr.

It is not rooted, but as I understand what rooting is, I would like it to be. Just to be sure, rooting takes all of the useless bloatware shit off of the phone, right?

I have Droid Razr.

All rooting does is give your login admin privileges (root). Once you have this then you can remove useless apps, install custom ones, or even wipe the whole operation system and install a custom one. Are you planning on selling the phone and that is why you want to wipe?

Nope, I just want all the shit off of it that makes it run any slower. I have been ocasionally getting popups as well, and want to end that shit. Since my contacts are stored on my card, and I have backup assistant, I am not worried about losing that stuff.

I am a minimalist, and only want things on my phone that I will use.

Or how about I give you 20 bucks and/or a six pack of your choosing to do this shit for me?

I am not interested in learning all there is to know about either of these procedures, I would just like my phone the way I want it. So, in the same way the guys who do not know how to or care to learn how to build computers come talk to me, I would happily reimburse someone for their time and efforts to help me out.

Okay I've never rooted that specific phone before but I love money, and Guinness, and sex.

Be careful before you offer to root motorola devices. They have locked bootloaders and it's a royal pain. I rooted and installed ICS on a Bionic and I thought I bricked the damn thing at first before finally getting it squared away. Safestrap is essential...but still not as smooth/easy as what most are used to.

Take the Razr, and trade it in on a Nexus. Probably the best advice I've ever given. Dude at work got the Razr, wasn't happy with it and got the Nexus. He loves it and he's not a techy/phone guy at all.

How exactly does one "trade in" his phone on another new one?

If it's within the 14 day trial period that is. Or just sell razr, acquire nexus. Maybe you can just tell them the phone sucks balls and you want a nexus?

DJ, download Lookout from Google Play and make sure you don't have a virus. I've never heard of popups on an Android phone. Phone viruses are rare but they do happen.

If you want to do a wipe, go to Settings, Storage then Factory Data Reset. The easy way to restore your contacts is to have them associated with your gmail account, that way when you sync the phone to gmail it automatically populates. To see if it is, log into gmail from a desktop and compare the contacts there. If everything is there, wipe away.

Honestly, if you don't know what rooting is then you don't need it. It's nice to have as it opens up some doors but if you don't do your own research on it then things can go bad. My previous phone of two years was rooted and made it a much better experience, my current phone isn't rooted and I'm not sweating it one bit.