Took the Plunge

dorifto240

After years of being somewhat sensible (and not having enough money), I finally caved and picked up a basketcase 1986 Kawasaki 750R off craigslist for $300. And before too long I should be up and riding with everyone this summer!

Thanks everyone, and I'm one step closer to riding. I just finished the initial mounting of the gas tank. I just need to modify the rear bracket and bolt it in. After that:

Mount headlights.

Create headlight covers.

Make custom seat

Custom fairings

Paint

Ride

Alright here are some pics of the project. And a brief explanation. The original gas tank was shot, so I picked up one off of an 89 Ninja 600 and pulled out the drill and grinder.

I had to relocate the rubber stops back about 2 inches. and I pulled the petcock from my tank (which I tore down and cleaned up) and used it on the new tank.

In addition to that, I stripped the paint off some of the engine parts, and the foot pegs and I'm currently working on polishing them to a ridiculous level of shine. Call me neurotic...

3418616477_0e83f26b32.jpg?v=0

3418613289_191525f781.jpg?v=0

3418612151_018e698ee0.jpg?v=0

3419419352_863c5df20b.jpg?v=0

Don't let the photo fool you, the dog is gay.

I'm waiting on headlights to come in off of ebay, and then I'm going to rework the seat and rear fender.

My goal is to have the engine fired up this week, and have it on the road by the end of the month.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

After a little coughing and sputtering she fired right up and sounds great. The carbs need cleaned out, but apart from that she's good to go!

And the headlights arrived today off of ebay. Just wait till you see what I'm cooking up right now