Truck questions

gaewsky1

I'll be looking for a truck in the next few months. Looking for 4x4, 4 doors, 8 cyl, short bed, automatic, under 75,000 miles (hopefully lower mileage) for around $12-$14,000.

I'm finding a lot of 2004,05,06s in that price range. Lots of Rams, some F150s and a few Silverados. Will one of these be better than the other? For example, easy and cheap to fix, will last into high mileage, just a damn good truck.

Or is a truck a truck?

It would be used as a second vehicle for light hauling and towing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Everyone is going to have a brand preference, but from browsing and looking quite a bit the rams seem to be about the cheapest to pick up previously enjoyed. The silverado and f150 in a true 4 door or crew cab jump the price up quite a bit over having an extended cab.

There would be a lot of Rams in those years available simply because of all the changes that happned during those year. Body style changes, engine option changes, etc. If you go Ram, stick with the 5.7l Hemi and make sure it has the option for the Multi-Displacement System. It was an option in those early years.

My 04 ram was great. The only issue I had with it was the transmission went out the day after I bought it. Which is hit and miss in those.

Didn't have any other issues with it.

I know a lot of people with MDS on their rams and they turn it off via the tuner.

Thanks everyone. It may not be for a few months but just wanted to get ideas and start looking. I'll post pics once I get one.

NurkVinny, is your Ram still FS?

One more question, I haven't bought used ever. If their price is say, $18000, should I start at $16,000 and go from there?

I've had 3 F150's a 97, 02 and 05 and 2 F250's a 92 and an 08. All have been great trucks thats why i keep buying Fords. My inlaws and brother in law have always been GM people but have recently switched to Fords.

I'll sell my 02 F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4L just turned 95K.

I'd like to get back into a 3/4 ton

I gotta say I'm a Ford fan when it comes to trucks. Not only are they sharp and well built, but even the older ones are still around and doing well. I have two nieghbors with mi 80's F150's. Clay is yet another with one. They all just keep plugging away.