School me on AR-15's

Rustlestiltskin

I am a complete noob when it comes to them. I know a little about taking them apart but besides that I dont know what brands are good, what to look out for, what to stay away from, etc.

I'm in the market to either buy one complete or put my own together.

Please, gun crew AR-15 guru's, shed some light this way and help me understand better.

I was in your place a couple years back, now I've bought a complete, and completed a partial build. Other than having shot quite a few I knew very little. Bushmaster, Colt, Bravo Company, Rock River Arms, Smith and Wesson, would be a few of the complete builds I'd check out. You'll find some DPMS, Delton kits for cheaper, but I've heard mixed results. I'd personally recommend building a lower receiver, since it can be completed relatively easily and with tools most of us have, and buying a complete headspaced upper. Or just buying a decent complete on sale. I got my Shrubmaster for less than 900. Just my opinion, expect many. :)

Shoot others rifles and see what you like, you are more than wlecome to shoost with me sometime

Always good advice, and you get to shoot.

If you visit m4carbine.net they will say Colt and Daniel Defense are the only two brands allowed to be owned.

Since not everyone out there is a real operator like them, pretty much everything that goes bang every time and doesn't feel like its going to fall apart is probably alright. That being said, I'm still very wary of polymer receivers for the AR platform, I don't think they will stand up to much abuse. Maybe in another 5-10 years.

Everything I have from YHM is very high quality. I use Magpul furniture. Lots of cheap crap out there. I built my 6.8 myself and love it. I'd recommend doing your own build. It is pretty easy and a very satisfying experience. I had my Saiga custom-built but now I want to order parts and build-up my own AK. So, I say...go the DIY route. Lots of folks on here have done AR builds so you shouldn't have to buy tools or anything.

I recently purchased an upper and lower from here, a lot of variety and a great price. Paid around $750 with shipping/transfers.

http://www.rguns.net/

I also own a Rock River Arms AR15 (my first) and the fit and finish on this gun are amazing, and it shoots great. Recently put a Nikon P-223 on it and moved the Eotech setup to my new rifle.

What's funny about Howard and AR's?

Ask him if he'll sell his

Serious note: I'd say start reading up on ARs, find out the features you want and build one for yourself and if you have any questions along the way we can probably answer them. Its impossible to tell you everything you want to hear about them unless you ask questions.

Can ppl please take this thread serious. I want to learn about either building or buying a good reliable SHTF AR. What's funny about Howard and AR's?

To me, I start with the important things. Barrel must a 1:7 twist, M4 feed ramps, and a chrome lined barrel. A 1:7 twist has been the "MILSPEC" standard, and that's all I own. You can fire every form of 5.56 out there, and it will stabilize the rounds through a 16" long barrel.

Making sure the bolt carrier group is staked properly, and heat treated is another. There are a few companies with enhanced bolt carrier groups (LMT for instance makes one).

In regards to the lower, you don't have to spend hundreds on it, but again stay away from anything polymer. A standard lower parts kit is just fine if you could care less about the trigger. My LMT MRP came with their 2-stage trigger and it is smooth as silk. Not to mention a lighter pull to help with accuracy.

If you're going the build route, there's plenty out there like Delton, Spikes tactical, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, Larue etc......

A good AR isn't exactly a cheap process, but you get what you put into it. Learn the basics of shooting one properly, so get a good set of iron sights. The red dots, scopes and all that shit can be added later.

Can ppl please take this thread serious. I want to learn about either building or buying a good reliable SHTF AR. What's funny about Howard and AR's?

Paul, all the info you have asked for has been stated in here. So most things added are going to become repeat info.

What's funny about Howard telling you about an AR, is actually from a pic posted on here, I thought you may have seen it. It was Howard, out shooting with some new gear and he looked like a kid in a candy store, that happy. It was just a funny pic with him with a huge grin, wearing his new gear. Howard is also one of the most eager weapons enthusiast/SHTF friends I have. He doesn't have military experience, so he too, had to learn AR's from scratch. I don't think anyone is shitting in your thread. There's a ton of great info here.

Get someone to be with you on this to check that you are getting a good deal and a quality weapon. Have them go with you to look at all you may be interested in. Set the $ amount you can spend. See what's available. If you don't find what you want at a lower amount, save till you have the $ for what you want.

If I lived in Columbus still, I would walk you through all this. Truth is, in over the counter weapons, I'm not that great with the name brands. I got through a dealer out in Hilliard, Dale. He gets me anything I want, But I find what I want online and discuss it with friends in that are guru's, like Scotty.

Don't be too quick to pull the trigger. Everyone has AR fever right now. So find the right deal for you on a quality gun.

It has to last. It has to shoot every time you pull the trigger. And it has to hit its mark. That's the menu. That's it.

I will be at my guy dales place on Saturday if you would like me to introduce you to him. Many people on CR and OR go through him. Pm me and let me know.

To me, I start with the important things. Barrel must a 1:7 twist, M4 feed ramps, and a chrome lined barrel. A 1:7 twist has been the "MILSPEC" standard, and that's all I own. You can fire every form of 5.56 out there, and it will stabilize the rounds through a 16" long barrel.

That is the only thing i havent changed yet :fuuuu:, damn 1:9

I was in the same boat b/w a build and buy and I had never even handled an AR before and still haven't shot anyone else other than mine.

You could build a Daniel Defense rifle but change the furniture on it to Magpul stuff and save some weight and money right off the bat while having a MOA rifle.

For my first AR I decided to go with a build and had no idea where to start. I couldn't even tell you what half the parts were, where they were supposed to go or why I should choose what over what.

Your lower won't matter much since there are 4 main companies that make lowers and stamp someone else name on them. I went with MEGA, ultimately giving me a real nice tight finish b/w the upper and lower. Google search will brink up what brands fall under what manufacturer.

Most importantly invest your money in a 1:7 Chrome lined barrel and a quality Bolt Carrier Group.

building your own AR is great i personally am going to take this step with my next AR. over the counter i love my windham it has been super reliable fires in the freezing cold and heat. even with cheap steel ammo it does not jam. i would suggest however getting something with a chrome lined barrel.

That is the only thing i havent changed yet :fuuuu:, damn 1:9

If you want milspec, go with 1:7. If you plan on shooting something other than M855 (well suited for 1:7) or even M193 (which I would argue could do just as well in a 1:8-1:9), don't be afraid to run something else. I specifically chose a 1:10 twist barrel for my varmint AR because I planned on slinging really light rounds at high velocities, i.e. 36gr BVGs @ ~4,000fps. A 1:7 would tear those apart.

BTW, chrome lined barrels are generally less accurate than unlined, chromoly barrels, but are also much easier to clean. Again, it all really depends on your application.

If you want milspec, go with 1:7. If you plan on shooting something other than M855 (well suited for 1:7) or even M193 (which I would argue could do just as well in a 1:8-1:9), don't be afraid to run something else. I specifically chose a 1:10 twist barrel for my varmint AR because I planned on slinging really light rounds at high velocities, i.e. 36gr BVGs @ ~4,000fps. A 1:7 would tear those apart.

BTW, chrome lined barrels are generally less accurate than unlined, chromoly barrels, but are also much easier to clean. Again, it all really depends on your application.

I still shoot M855 in my rifle :megusta:

Two thing on my list are a new bolt carrier and barrel but it does what I want well, and what needs improved now is me

• 2 weeks later...