Stock Tips/Help

Wes Stone

you have 3 options and each option has a basic strategy.

1. hold on to it and hope it rebounds close enough to minimize the loss, then sell.

2. Sell now, absorb the loss (small amount of money anyways) and move on

3. Buy more of both now, and wait for it to go up... then use the dillusional theory of dollar-cost-averaging to make yourself feel better.

REGARDLESS of my three options. STOP investing your money without consulting someone who is educated in trading when involving mergers, IPO's, and acquisitions (ie - why would you buy an IPO when 19 of the last 20 IPO's dropped dramatically within 6 months).

From the sound of it, I bet you bought verizon stock the day the iphone came out for VZW...... THE SMART PEOPLE MADE THEIR MONEY WAY BEFORE THAT DAY AND THE STOCK WENT NO WHERE.

REGARDLESS of my three options. STOP investing your money without consulting someone who is educated in trading when involving mergers, IPO's, and acquisitions (ie - why would you buy an IPO when 19 of the last 20 IPO's dropped dramatically within 6 months).

this guy,

he gets it.

I'm just here trying to learn. I dunno how else to learn other than doing it..

why not learn by playing with fake money (like they do in investing/finance classes) first and see how you do? Otherwise you are just going to piss away money hoping that you are making good "moves"

The secret to IPOs is that the company holds an invite only sale weeks before the public offering and in the case of FB it was a classic "pump and dump." if you looked at the Fed/Sec filings for FB you could have known this.

I'm just here trying to learn. I dunno how else to learn other than doing it. I'm the type of person that likes to learn the skill/trade and do it myself. Sure I'm going to make some mistakes along the way.

I used investopedia.com live simulation for paper trading in combination with losing real money before I learned to make profit.

Picking good stocks to invest in isn't really that difficult if your truly going to "invest" vs trade.

The game I mentioned earlier will help a lot with learning to pick those companies and let you run through 100yrs of history within a few hours to see the results. Investing to me would be for someone with loads of money who doesn't want any risk and simply wants better return than bank accounts can offer. In this type of investing you don't bother with cheap stocks or new start up companies. Stick with the bigger better run companies, read industry projections and the news to simply put money in and wait for down the road. This is what your 401K's and mutual funds do already except they take all the thinking out of it for small gains.

Now "trading" is a whole other ball game and I have my own methods of picking companies and they are extremely complex. I really don't care what company I pick or what they do, I look at the industry projections, and then read a bit about the company through sources like the S&P reports. The next thing I do is start watching their charts and maybe even place a paper trade so that I'll remember to pay more attention. Then I watch the stock along with the world and US news to see how its effected by different situations, ie fed meetings, world events, etc. This takes months and even years to analyze an individual stock, but I watch hundreds of them so there's always something I'm trading. Once I feel I "know" the stock I place real money on it and these days I don't make bad trades (though sometimes I don't hit the bottom or top, but no ones perfect.)

Once I've gotten a stock I want to trade I plan my trade and start watching the MACD, stochastic, and williams charts. Then along with a nice candle stick chart with calibrated moving average lines, volume, and bollinger bands I start to pick my entry point or exit point. I suggest reading up on these chart types as well as many others that I haven't messed with yet. Especially important are the candle stick chart patterns.

The last thing I do before actually placing a trade is check news and company investor pages to see if anything important is coming up. Typically around the release of a quarterly report isn't the time to be buying or selling unless you know something that everyone else doesn't or have learned how a particular company behaves at these times. Same with fed meetings and more recently meetings of Euro banks.

Oh last big important point, try to keep trading purely technical on your end and let the rest of the noobs trade with emotions. You'll make money simply doing this.