Ohio man arrested - bringing gun, knives into Westlake showing of 'Dark Knight Rises'

bucd

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a huge difference if the guy was a legal CCW Holder and was carrying a single pistol as per typical.

However the artical says he a knife on him, 3 more in a satchel with a loaded gun and multple clips in there as well. I don't care how you analyze it, the dude is fucked up in his head and dumber than a box of rocks. It was a good call on the part of the off duty cop to proceed as he did.

I'm all for CCW's and have also carried into a location that had signs up but to me that's no the same. To have a bag with multple clips and several knives while going to a theater and sitting down 30 minutes early? WHo the fuck gets there 30 minutes early let alone with all that shit? Dumb crazy mo-fo's that's who. Again, if you call that "normal" then you too are fucked in the head.

There's a huge difference if the guy was a legal CCW Holder and was carrying a single pistol as per typical.

However the artical says he a knife on him, 3 more in a satchel with a loaded gun and multple clips in there as well. I don't care how you analyze it, the dude is fucked up in his head and dumber than a box of rocks. It was a good call on the part of the off duty cop to proceed as he did.

I'm all for CCW's and have also carried into a location that had signs up but to me that's no the same. To have a bag with multple clips and several knives while going to a theater and sitting down 30 minutes early? WHo the fuck gets there 30 minutes early let alone with all that shit? Dumb crazy mo-fo's that's who. Again, if you call that "normal" then you too are fucked in the head.

Appearing crazy is not against the law...

Carrying 4 knives is not against the law...

Carrying multiple 'clips' is not against the law...

Going to the movies 30 minutes early is not against the law...

You guys are seemingly wanting to hang him for something he MIGHT have done. Am I the only one who sees a problem with that?

Some may argue that the 2nd amendment is his CCW

Only movie he would not look out of place would be if he went to see Ted.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070804203507/uncyclopedia/images/9/9b/Right_To_Bear_Arms.jpg

You can drop the inducing panic and potential massacre BS, though.

The inducing panic thing I brought up cause I read the article yesterday and I thought it was in a theater with a bunch of people and it created bit of a scene, I was wrong.

Potential massacre is obviously not something he is or can be charged for, that's just something to wonder about...was a massacre avoided?

Appearing crazy is not against the law...

Carrying 4 knives is not against the law...

Carrying multiple 'clips' is not against the law...

Going to the movies 30 minutes early is not against the law...

You guys are seemingly wanting to hang him for something he MIGHT have done. Am I the only one who sees a problem with that?

I never said anything contrary to your points did I ? I also never said to hang him. I made a joke about a cop capping his ass earlier, but that was my initial smart ass CR plug....but I usually as in this case follow it up with my Gabe Meter of thoughts.

My follow up however is yes, he deserves to get nailed for illegally carrying a firearm and the other weapon offenses that will likely be in addition to the firearm charge. I do also think he should be made an example of as proceeding in the fashion he did is right up there with one of the dumbest things you can do, especially giving the timing and venue. Not to mention, what really pisses me off is it draws a bad light on those of us that support our second ammendment rights in the correct fashion and do so with intelligence.

I'm not in any way saying go after him for what he might have done....but in continuation of my comments above, I do approve of the note whereby the FBI searched his house and is likely flipping his life around to see if the dude is on the edge of freaking out. Again, something ain't right upstairs and it doesn't take an FBI agent or years of police work to see that.

Just because you have a "right" to do something doesn't mean you should. In this cases his rights don't negate him being a dumb mother fucker or a wannabee Billy Badass neither of which I really feel is justified in bringing all that shit into a public theater.

My follow up however is yes, he deserves to get nailed for illegally carrying a firearm and the other weapon offenses that will likely be in addition to the firearm charge. I do also think he should be made an example of as proceeding in the fashion he did is right up there with one of the dumbest things you can do, especially giving the timing and venue. Not to mention, what really pisses me off is it draws a bad light on those of us that support our second ammendment rights in the correct fashion and do so with intelligence.

I'm not in any way saying go after him for what he might have done....but in continuation of my comments above, I do approve of the note whereby the FBI searched his house and is likely flipping his life around to see if the dude is on the edge of freaking out. Again, something ain't right upstairs and it doesn't take an FBI agent or years of police work to see that.

Just because you have a "right" to do something doesn't mean you should. In this cases his rights don't negate him being a dumb mother fucker or a wannabee Billy Badass neither of which I really feel is justified in bringing all that shit into a public theater.

You keep mentioning that he had multiple knives on him. How many is too many? Is it illegal to carry multiple knives in Ohio?

Why does he 'deserve' to get nailed for illegally carrying a weapon? If this was in, say, Alaska, Arizona, or Vermont (all constitutional carry states), would you be saying the same thing?

I still fail to see how carrying a weapon into a movie theater makes you a 'dumb mother fucker'. I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, but perhaps he was worried some other crack would try to copy the Colorado incident? Common sense would tell you to stay at home if you're that worried, but common sense isn't so common these days.

OK, so charge him with carrying without a permit. He offered to leave after being questioned, so charging him with criminal trespassing is (or should be) out. You can drop the inducing panic and potential massacre BS, though.

Charge him with multiple weapons violations and so far as inducing panic, his illegal actions did do that.....it invoked a response that led to an LEO calling in back up and overall caused serious public inconvenience & alarm, especially given what happened in CO just a few weeks ago, all of which under Ohio Revised Code fits that well.

Charge him with multiple weapons violations and so far as inducing panic, his illegal actions did do that.....it invoked a response that led to an LEO calling in back up and overall caused serious public inconvenience & alarm, especially given what happened in CO just a few weeks ago, all of which under Ohio Revised Code fits that well.

Multiple weapons violation? Again, please point me to the Ohio law that prohibits the carry of multiple weapons (I am honestly unsure, but will look into it). The gun is the only issue here (that I am aware of) being that he did not have a valid (Ohio) permit.

I saw no where in the article that panic ensued. It sounds to me like the guy cooperated quite nicely w/o incident.

You reference ORC. Please clarify.

Multiple weapons violation? Again, please point me to the Ohio law that prohibits the carry of multiple weapons (I am honestly unsure, but will look into it). The gun is the only issue here (that I am aware of) being that he did not have a valid (Ohio) permit.

I saw no where in the article that panic ensued. It sounds to me like the guy cooperated quite nicely w/o incident.

so youre really trying to defend a guy who knowingly walked into a theater with multiple weapons that is screening the same movie in which 12 were killed and 58 were wounded?

you're out there dude.

You keep mentioning that he had multiple knives on him. How many is too many? Is it illegal to carry multiple knives in Ohio?

Depends on the knife. Ohio law is vague but does state that any knife concealed and carried on your person in a concealed manner can be considered a deadly weapon. There are exceptions related to standard pocket knives, but again, what I know, there's also circumstances, I think fair to say, this one, where it will be considered that. So in terms of at least one charge for that...yeah....he's likely facing it. Should likely face it on the ones in his bag too.

Why does he 'deserve' to get nailed for illegally carrying a weapon? If this was in, say, Alaska, Arizona, or Vermont (all constitutional carry states), would you be saying the same thing?

Why...because we're in Ohio not alaska, arizona or vermont.

I still fail to see how carrying a weapon into a movie theater makes you a 'dumb mother fucker'. I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, but perhaps he was worried some other crack would try to copy the Colorado incident? Common sense would tell you to stay at home if you're that worried, but common sense isn't so common these days.

I can't help you if you honestly don't see how knowingly, illegally carrying not just one but multiple weapons in the fashion he was in the venue he was with the timing all this falls qualifies him as one of the dumbest individuals I've read about in the month of August 2012. You're spot on with him lacking common sense. I seriously think he's either whacked in the brain or a natural dumb ass.

so youre really trying to defend a guy who knowingly walked into a theater with multiple weapons that is screening the same movie in which 12 were killed and 58 were wounded?

you're out there dude.

The fact that the Colorado incident happened is irrelevant. If he went to see Ted, would it have been OK then?

I'm defending 'innocent until proven guilty'. People keep mentioning this guy's suspicious behavior. I'm not saying it wasn't suspicious, but except for the no-permit part, none of it was illegal.

He's going to receive one count for each violation. He has a concealed gun, concealed knife, etc......

Inducing panic has a pretty clear definition in ORC. I spelled it out using the wording from it. He met the definition easiliy.

The fact that the Colorado incident happened is irrelevant. If he went to see Ted, would it have been OK then?

You're borderline scaring me with your train of thought as it likely matches his.....hmmm....you see no relevance between the Colorado incident and what this guy did?

I'm defending 'innocent until proven guilty'. People keep mentioning this guy's suspicious behavior. I'm not saying it wasn't suspicious, but except for the no-permit part, none of it was illegal.

He had no permit for a gun

He had multiple other concealed weapons on his person and property

He entered a facility with complete disregard for the posted signs, Wanton Disregard aka Negligence (leads to question intent)

His actions caused what clearly meets ORC definition of inducing panic

I'd handwrite the charge of being a dumb mother fucker, but that's what keeps me from being a cop as that would apply to people daily.

I'll let the 5-0 on here chime in, but it seems they never do, but I bet he'll be charged with some type of illegal transportation of a firearm too.

Why...because we're in Ohio not alaska, arizona or vermont.

Fair enough.

I can't help you if you honestly don't see how knowingly, illegally carrying not just one but multiple weapons in the fashion he was in the venue he was with the timing all this falls qualifies him as one of the dumbest individuals I've read about in the month of August 2012. You're spot on with him lacking common sense. I seriously think he's either whacked in the brain or a natural dumb ass.

I'm not saying he wasn't dumb for it. If he was that worried about protecting himself, then he should have stayed home, IMO. I'm simply saying that just because he was doing something that you see as dumb, does not make him a criminal.

If you want to charge him with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, per Ohio law, that's fine (though I would argue that it's not necessary). But the other stuff is BS unless he actually does something.

Isnt there laws in Ohio on what size knife you can carry legally? Before you guys defend that his knifes are legal better check laws and figure out what kind of knife he had....I'm not about to look up either though. Just saying

I'm simply saying that just because he was doing something that you see as dumb, does not make him a criminal.

I never said being dumb was a crime, although I think it should be, so instead I listed the codes I see him having violated and were clearly met according to ORC.

the other stuff is BS unless he actually does something.

....and like him, you're welcome to argue the above noted as BS, but stand in line with the knuckleheads like him ready to try it. he met those definitions thus actually did do something.....several things....all illegal.

Isnt there laws in Ohio on what size knife you can carry legally? Before you guys defend that his knifes are legal better check laws and figure out what kind of knife he had....I'm not about to look up either though. Just saying

Yes...I believe there is. However, the law does state that any weapon (it defines weapons too) and clearly a knife is in that definition, can be considered a deadly weapon, especially if concealed. I doubt you're going to get charged with a simple Swiss Pocket Knife, although they can "charge" you with it perhaps, but it wouldn't stick. However, if you have a knife and I would imagine in this case, it wasn't a small 2" folding knife, hidden on your person and 3 others in the bag, along with a gun, etc.....he's going to face that charge.

You're borderline scaring me with your train of thought as it likely matches his.....hmmm....you see no relevance between the Colorado incident and what this guy did?

Scaring? That sounds like an emotional response to me.

Again, I'm NOT saying it wasn't very suspicious. I'm NOT saying he wouldn't have went on to kill 12 more people.

Personally, given the recent series of events, I would not have done the same as he did, because I do believe it was quite stupid. No denying that.

He had no permit for a gun

Agreed. Charge him per Ohio law (though I, along with the entire states of Alaska, Arizona, and Vermont, think it's a dumb and unconstitutional law)

He had multiple other concealed weapons on his person and property

I've looked and still cannot find the ORC that says you can't carry multiple knives on you. Please cite this for me.

He entered a facility with complete disregard for the posted signs, Wanton Disregard (leads to question intent)

I'm not saying they weren't posted. I'm not saying he didn't see them. He did offer to leave them in his vehicle, which negates the fact that he ignored them in the first place. Intent to do something is not actually doing something. Again, we're leaning towards things he might have done instead of what he did do.

His actions caused what clearly meets ORC definition of inducing panic

You might be right here, though it sounds like he was cooperating, at least from the way the article reads. This is the only thing I can find on inducing panic, and even it's quite vague. Please point me to this clear definition.

"(3) Committing any offense, with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission will cause serious public inconvenience or alarm."

Again, let me repeat myself. I'm not saying the guy wasn't dumb for what he did. But besides the permit charge, nothing else appears to be illegal, just suspicious. Arrest the guy for having a CCW w/o a permit. Ask him to leave. Watch him closely. But treating him (and charging him) like he was going to massacre people is a bit too far, IMO.

That's my main issue with the story.