LMS: Audi's as DD's (Wagon preferably)

bmwohio

Looking for a new DD for the fam so I can park the M in the garage. Looking hard at an E46 or E39 Touring (Wagon).

I plan to keep this for at least a couple of years and would like to purchase one with under 100k miles.

Feel free to chime in on other wagons I should consider in this price range.

I have come across a couple of Audi Wagons that I would consider (A4. S4), can some of you Audi folks chime in on what I should look for or stay away from.

My budget is no more than $12k

Something like this, for example, should I consider it or run away:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=94263275&listingRecNum=4&criteria=prMx%3D13000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20049%26stkTyp%3DU%26bsId%3D20216%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-bsId-pseudoPrice-mkId%26zc%3D43082%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-0-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D250%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=criteo&listType=1

I know nothing about the dependability of Audi's.

Thanks!

I DD a C5 A6 Quattro Wagon with the 2.8. SLOW... if you do a lot of stop and go I would stay away.

But, I love the car. Extremely comfy. Very stable in the snow. Great on road-trips. About 170k on it now. Aiming for 300k. Would get a newer S wagon or CTS-V wagon when this dies.

for 12k you can get a decent one. Just watch out for the S's and the gas mileage if that is a concern.

go A4 not S4 for a daily. particularly not a B5 S4 like the one you linked to. The 2.7 is not the most dependable platform.

The Silver B6 A4 wagon on Ohio Bimmers would be an outstanding daily diver if you ask me. Think he's down to like $10k now

I've daily driven my 1.8T A4 for the last 10 years, it acts as a work truck for me, despite all the Audi hatred it's been an outstanding car and extremely cheap to maintain and drive. Parts through ECS tuning up in cleveland are cheap and good. I've done my own timing belt services twice now and they're like $350 a pop to do yourself. Mine starts, runs, drives and functions properly every day with >210k on the clock now. I can count on one hand the number of times it's cost me more than a couple hundred bucks to fix something that's gone worng.

go A4 not S4 for a daily. particularly not a B5 S4 like the one you linked to. The 2.7 is not the most dependable platform.

The Silver B6 A4 wagon on Ohio Bimmers would be an outstanding daily diver if you ask me. Think he's down to like $10k now

I've daily driven my 1.8T A4 for the last 10 years, it acts as a work truck for me, despite all the Audi hatred it's been an outstanding car and extremely cheap to maintain and drive. Parts through ECS tuning up in cleveland are cheap and good. I've done my own timing belt services twice now and they're like $350 a pop to do yourself. Mine starts, runs, drives and functions properly every day with >210k on the clock now. I can count on one hand the number of times it's cost me more than a couple hundred bucks to fix something that's gone worng.

So you think that is a good find? Did you read through his diatribe of a post, is that all good or is most of it bullshit stuff?

That's a pretty good deal. Not the most reliable Audi out there but if its been maintained I wouldn't be worried. Audi Allroad might be something to look at. Same engine, but its on the A6 platform so more room for you and the turbos, which means they tend to not fail as much due to better cooling. Adjustable ride height would be another cool bonus to the Allroad.

That's a pretty good deal. Not the most reliable Audi out there but if its been maintained I wouldn't be worried. Audi Allroad might be something to look at. Same engine, but its on the A6 platform so more room for you and the turbos, which means they tend to not fail as much due to better cooling. Adjustable ride height would be another cool bonus to the Allroad.

Something like this monster truck here:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=94744597&listingRecNum=0&criteria=prMx%3D13000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20049%26stkTyp%3DU%26bsId%3D20216%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-bsId-pseudoPrice-mkId%26zc%3D43082%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-0-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D250%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=criteo&listType=1

Sooo...there's def. some salemanship going on in the Ohio Bimmers thread in order for him to try to get top dollar.....I mean when you start listing stainless license plate hardware and leather treatment as service items you're trying a little bit too hard even if it's Leatherique. It's also been for sale for a LONG time so it would appear as though he's holding out for his magic number. BUT it got it's major service completely out of the way (the one I can do for $350 that he paid $1800 for) and won't need another till like 160k. It will need transmission fluid flush again soon even though maintenance won't call for it, every 50-60k miles if you want your Audi transmission to last.

I'd skip an all-raod, air suspension and 2.7T is two strikes against it in the dependability argument.

Honestly if E39 wagon's were proportioned wrong that would be the ultimate, I just think they look goofy. E46 wagon's can be hot though but probably harder to find in AWD if that's a must. I think the BMW's and the Audi's both have their little quirks, doubt maintenance between them will be that much different, probably best to drive both and decide which you like better.

Not an expert -- but I hear on the All-Roads if the bags haven't been serviced (or replaced completely?) they are bound to go at some point and it is a bit pricey.

Not sure on that, wouldn't surprise me though.

Lol, yup. I'm thinking it's at it's highest setting, doubt that's normal ride height.

If you get one I can VAG Com it down to lowrider status.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2038902

The 2.7T Allroad I used to own was probably the best Audi I've ever had. The only issues I had was coil packs and front air bags (suspension). Put a new set on from Artnott and was good to go. Not very expensive either.

Man, I must run through this scenario in my head over and over. My e36 is a bit small to keep using as a family vehicle. I definitely have a car seat in it without too much trouble, but I have to have the passenger seat all the way forward to do it.

Staying in the BMW world and your price range, you have e46 and e39 wagons. The e39 gives you about 1.5" more rear leg room and way more rear cargo space....they're just kinda ugly. I love e39 sedans, but they jacked the proportions all up for the wagons. Which leaves an e46 wagon which looks good, but isn't the biggest. I keep coming back to the e46 wagon just because it's somewhat familiar and easy to work on for me.

Audi wise, the A4 wagons are similar in interio dimmensions as the comparable year 3 series wagons. If you get a turbo 4cyl A4 you can make it pretty peppy for not too much investment or trouble. A6 wagons are similar to 5 series. The A6 gets you about 2" more rear leg room which is nice.

Even though they're out of your price range, 2006-ish A6s are attractive. They don't have the air suspension and 2.7T of the allroad, but don't have those issues either. They're just going to be slow and boring.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43081&endYear=2007&modelCode1=A6&startYear=2004&makeCode1=AUDI&bodyStyles=WAGON&searchRadius=500&maxPrice=20000&listingId=326277463&Log=0

Man, I must run through this scenario in my head over and over. My e36 is a bit small to keep using as a family vehicle. I definitely have a car seat in it without too much trouble, but I have to have the passenger seat all the way forward to do it.

Staying in the BMW world and your price range, you have e46 and e39 wagons. The e39 gives you about 1.5" more rear leg room and way more rear cargo space....they're just kinda ugly. I love e39 sedans, but they jacked the proportions all up for the wagons. Which leaves an e46 wagon which looks good, but isn't the biggest. I keep coming back to the e46 wagon just because it's somewhat familiar and easy to work on for me.

Audi wise, the A4 wagons are similar in interio dimmensions as the comparable year 3 series wagons. If you get a turbo 4cyl A4 you can make it pretty peppy for not too much investment or trouble. A6 wagons are similar to 5 series. The A6 gets you about 2" more rear leg room which is nice.

Even though they're out of your price range, 2006-ish A6s are attractive. They don't have the air suspension and 2.7T of the allroad, but don't have those issues either. They're just going to be slow and boring.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43081&endYear=2007&modelCode1=A6&startYear=2004&makeCode1=AUDI&bodyStyles=WAGON&searchRadius=500&maxPrice=20000&listingId=326277463&Log=0

You could always find a C6 A6 4.2 Sport...mmmm

No 6mt available in the C6 A6 lineup though.

I'll +1 for the Allroad. Part of me always wanted to build a Stage3 Allroad to fuck with people.

With proper maintenance the 2.7 is a reliable motor. They just suffer from DSM Syndrome.

They are cheap enough that kids buy them with 100K+, and immediately try to figure out a way to up the power without addressing all the rest of the issues. My B5 has approaching 160K on it with over double the factory HP I have no concerns winding it out in 90+ degree weather.

You could always find a C6 A6 4.2 Sport...mmmm

No 6mt available in the C6 A6 lineup though.

yeah, no MT made me figure I shouldn't worry about trying to be sporty with it anyway and just enjoy the other nice things about the car.

E46 wagon could still be "sporty" and they come in a 5 speed.

Or if you're willing to go way up in budget you can get 08 A4 wagons with the 2.0T and 6-speeds. That'd be my favorite if it were a little bigger.

yeah, no MT made me figure I shouldn't worry about trying to be sporty with it anyway and just enjoy the other nice things about the car.

E46 wagon could still be "sporty" and they come in a 5 speed.

Or if you're willing to go way up in budget you can get 08 A4 wagons with the 2.0T and 6-speeds. That'd be my favorite if it were a little bigger.

I think the B8's are plenty big.

Had a B8 S4 for a while and thought it was plenty spacious in back, especially for kids.

Unfortunately, needs to be autotragic so the wife can drive it too......

Well that makes it way easier to find one

I think the B8's are plenty big.

Had a B8 S4 for a while and thought it was plenty spacious in back, especially for kids.

I was looking at B7s which I think are still pretty close size wise aren't they? The tough part is rear leg room. With the baby seat if you have to move the front seat way forward it makes life a pain for anyone trying to sit there.

Well that makes it way easier to find one

I was looking at B7s which I think are still pretty close size wise aren't they? The tough part is rear leg room. With the baby seat if you have to move the front seat way forward it makes life a pain for anyone trying to sit there.

The B8 is significantly larger than the B7.

B8's are closer to last gen A6's in size, very large cars.

B8 sedan is 10mm wider at the shoulders in the front and 23mm in the back, 50mm higher from the front seat to the roof and 6mm higher in the rear. Wheelbase is 160mm longer on the B8.

The B8 is significantly larger than the B7.

B8's are closer to last gen A6's in size, very large cars.

true, you get an extra inch of rear leg room (front stays the same) betwen the B8 and B7, but the wagon also gives up 10cu ft in rear storage space, so it's a toss up. I'm cheap too...which would lead me back to the B7. hahaha

Both are hard to find. We want all wagons that come on the lot to be traded in, but everyone loves them to much to trade. If we get a B6 A4 wagon in I'm buying it. ;). BTW I sell Audis at Byers Audi if you need anything. We don't have any at this time, but last month we had an 09.