Turbo question

Second Gen

Have been driving my 1993 mazda RX7 all year (After a new Turbo installation about 4 months ago). Started noticing the boost is only hitting .8 bar when it has a14.7 lb / 1 Bar spring. Started thinking about removing the spring and cleaning out the WG, but this morning "Wow" back to 1 bar again. I know a lot of carbon (Especially with the RX7's) can build up in the exhaust, but never heard of one getting better.

Ideas?

Note - Car has an aftermarket Turbo, 3" exhaust (No kittens) and a Tial WG. The WG and exhaust has to be about 5 years old (Again the turbo is fresh as of 4 months ago)

If there was carbon buildup in the wastegate, causing it to stick or have a restriction...wouldn't you be seeing more boost?

My same thoughts, if it was carbon it would stick partially open and make boost go up. If it was stuck open all the way boost would take forever to build.

Did not clean the WG. Was thinking about it when it started boosting right. As mentioned above the WG is a Tial. Assumed like above the carbon buildup should have reduced the boost. Running like a bat out of hell again and not complaining. Just a little concerned that what ever the issue might have been may cause it to over boost or go back to where it was.

Jones - should have put in tech originally (sorry)

My same thoughts, if it was carbon it would stick partially open and make boost go up. If it was stuck open all the way boost would take forever to build.

if the gate was stuck open a little bit wouldn't it take longer to create boost as you have less pressure building in the exhaust?

if the gate was stuck open a little bit wouldn't it take longer to create boost as you have less pressure building in the exhaust?

depends on how far really, if it doesnt open fully then it spikes. If its stuck open is takes forever to spin the turbine wheel. If the gate is stuck open and its vented you would hear that while it idled, sound like a giant exhaust leak

Spools normally (Around 3K) and did not see any spikes. Also I am not running a boost controller. I am running with the stock Tial 14.6 lb wastegate spring only. Guess I should think about adding one back into the mix (Really liked the additional .2 Bar)

Unfortunately could not boost above .89 BAr again today (Sucks).

Guess when I tear her down this fall I will add in the boost controller when replacing the the clutch and sending the injectors to RC for cleaning / rebalancing.

Edited by Second Gen
Can't spell