yhm lower

2pointslow

I built mine with a YHM upper and Spike's lower. If the upper is any indication of quality...you can't go wrong with YHM. They are top tier. That comes along with higher price and longer wait times, of course. My upper took about 2 months. A buddy of mine ordered his and it is taking about the same.

I saw your chatbox comment...you cant go wrong with PSA either... is there a particular reason that you want mismatch upper/lower instead of just buying a complete rifle outright? As long as it is not a Colt (which are great rifles) because they cant be mismatched upper/lower, or a Colt if you buy completed.

so what, exactly, makes a company top tier as far as the actual product is concerned? I'm not talking about the customer service or prices or anything like that, just the product itself.

What makes a company top Tier is how strict they are accordance with Technical Data Package (TDP). A TDP is basically the full set of manufacturing instructions for the creation of a military firearm, including all the process specifications, performance requirements, and quality assurance steps necessary to produce it. Companys with military contracts are Top Tier because their products have to follow TDP, IE Colt, DD, LMT, etc. The M4 TDP is currently owned by Colt Defense but other companies can use the TDP to produce M4 rifles for the military, but they have to pay a 5% royalty to Colt Defense.. lol

That kinda makes sense based on the extra $ for those brands. My YHM upper has functioned flawlessly with a variety of ammo so far. Based on how long it takes for them to turn around orders...I bet they aren't big enough to compete for government work.

That kinda makes sense based on the extra $ for those brands. My YHM upper has functioned flawlessly with a variety of ammo so far. Based on how long it takes for them to turn around orders...I bet they aren't big enough to compete for government work.

YHM is still good stuff. Top Teir ARs cost more money to produce. For example, TDP requires that the barrel be made out of from cold hammer forged 4150 steel with 1:7 twist rate and every barrel has to be MP and HPI tested. To cut costs, company will use 4140 steel, it is cheaper, 1:9 twist rate, (less rifling = less machine work = cheaper) and MP and HPI test 1 out of a batch of barrels.