GM / Diesel Techs...come on in

GSXRAntwon

2003 DURAMAX LB7 engine.

So I was cruising on the freeway last night and noticed black smoke out of my passenger mirror, along with a hesitation in the engine. I got off a ramp and stopped and the engine is making a knocking noise and spitting black smoke out of the pipe. The truck had the injectors replaced about 15,000 miles ago. The truck has great oil pressure, coolant temps, and everything else. There is also NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Weird.

Anyone know what it could be? Does anyone have access to a Tech 2 or computer to read whats going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heres a video

Let me start by saying that I'm not much of a deisel tech, but I looked up bulletins for your vehicle. Looks like there have been issues with the main engine harness connectors coming apart inside the connector, inspecting these for anything out of the ordinary or shaking them while the engine is running to see if it has any effect, not very likely but worth a shot.

There are also bullitens for sticking valves and fuel knock which is alittle more likely given your video. If you have an infared thermometer maybe you can gauge which cylinder is not working by finding the colder one. I would start by trying tonarrow it down.