Stupid knee

DKilbourne

Well, I think I've finally come to the realization that it's time to stop running around like I am 20 with good joints. I tore cartilage this morning turning a corner in a hallway. I know I did, since it will be the 5th surgery on my left knee. Only debate I have now is whether or not I get the ACL redone again. I originally had the ACL reconstructed in March of '04 and tore it again in October that year. I have since had a couple of cartilage tears that required surgery. The last one being in April of this year. That was on the other meniscus in my left knee. This is the one that I had operated on in July of '09.

I am now going to be officially done playing any sports, which sucks, but I am trying to decide if I want to get my ACL done again, so that I don't have to worry as much about walking down the damn hallway. Fun times. Just had to get that out.

That's unreal how you've had soo many problems with that 1 knee. I'm sure since you tore it a billion times previously that just the smallest wrong movement would tear it again. prolly not much holding it together anymore.

Well, I did tear cartilage in my right knee twice. First time was playing baseball in HS, but I think that I did the initial damage in a car accident. Then after I tore my right ACL, I tore the same cartilage again before having that ACL reconstructed. Dumb.

sucks,

i would seriously consider getting it re-done (the acl). normally, i'd tell someone in their 30's that they don't have to have a working acl. if i tore mine tomorrow, i'd consider non-op treatment, as i no longer do 'cutting' activities (soccer, football, tennis, etc). most people can stabilize their knee through extensive strengthening of the quad muscle so that they can run and do most normal activities without an acl. if you're getting instability in the knee with normal walking, to the point where the knee buckles and you're tearing the meniscus, then it might be time to consider another acl reconstruction.

sucks,

i would seriously consider getting it re-done (the acl). normally, i'd tell someone in their 30's that they don't have to have a working acl. if i tore mine tomorrow, i'd consider non-op treatment, as i no longer do 'cutting' activities (soccer, football, tennis, etc). most people can stabilize their knee through extensive strengthening of the quad muscle so that they can run and do most normal activities without an acl. if you're getting instability in the knee with normal walking, to the point where the knee buckles and you're tearing the meniscus, then it might be time to consider another acl reconstruction.

I agree, however, who is re-doing it is of great importance.

Talked with Dr. Martin yesterday and we decided on the ACL recon using the hamstring. He did mention that he hoped that I didn't tear too much of the medial meniscus as "There wasn't much left in there last time I did work". So, part of the reason of doing the ACL is to have it there for a potential partial replacement in the future. I assume that it is a foregone conclusion at this point and so did Bob. Surgery scheduled for September 20th, so I have a month to get ready.

I'm thinking that I may have already had more damage to the cartilage before the incident yesterday, but if there wasn't much left of it who knows.