Compressor Surge...

RC K9

I am hearing a funny noise during WOT. It sounds like a hollow forceful flutter I guess would be the best way to describe it. So anyway, I look on youtube under "compressor surge" as this is my best guess as to what it is but I have never heard comp surge before to know f that was actually what it was or not. Anyway, I find a lot of BS that isn't really what I am hearing. Then I find a vid by SYNAPSE with a skyline on a dyno and them describing that this was compressor surge we are seeing/hering. Sure enough, it seems to be the sound I am hearing.

Anyway, I don't want to kill this turbo, so I need to know what one can do to "fix" this. I am also wondering why I never heard this before when I had the same exact on?

Could it be caused by my BOV not being able to stay shut under boost? BTW I have it set at 31psi right now but if memory serves me correctly, I am hearing the sound before I hit 31psi...

What BOV do you have?

1G. I have a dodge garage modded one I am thinking of putting on just in case that happens to be what it is.

The noise could be caused by turbulence caused by jagged pvc intercooler piping.

Funny, because the last time I checked, all my intercooler piping was 2.5" aluminum from the punishment racing kit I bought 3 years ago for my last dsm. Maybe they pulled a fast one one me and chrome painted the pvc to look like aluminum on the inside and outside. I will have to do some more investigation when I get home as you may be on to something. :thumbup:

There's a couple types of compressor surge. The type you're likely experiencing should have nothing to do with your BOV. The compressor pulls so much air that it creates a vacuum at the inlet of the compressor, which means 0 resistance, since there is no air and it over spins momentarily until more air hits the compressor and it slows it down at a high rate of speed. Repeat this multiple times a second and you get the flutter sound. At that point, your turbo is likely exceeding its efficiency range anyways.

What can you do if this is your problem? I'm not sure there's much you can do besides get an anti-surge housing, which usually will have a huge inlet, and a pocket machined around the actual hole to the inducer. The pocket holds a small amount of air that gives the compressor something to eat while airflow catches back up.

There's a couple types of compressor surge. The type you're likely experiencing should have nothing to do with your BOV. The compressor pulls so much air that it creates a vacuum at the inlet of the compressor, which means 0 resistance, since there is no air and it over spins momentarily until more air hits the compressor and it slows it down at a high rate of speed. Repeat this multiple times a second and you get the flutter sound. At that point, your turbo is likely exceeding its efficiency range anyways.

What can you do if this is your problem? I'm not sure there's much you can do besides get an anti-surge housing, which usually will have a huge inlet, and a pocket machined around the actual hole to the inducer. The pocket holds a small amount of air that gives the compressor something to eat while airflow catches back up.

Not much restriction. like a 4in long 4in wide intake pipe and then 4in filter. Filter is basically on the comp housing.

A 1st gen bov t 31 psi u serious? Damn man buy a real bov.

No need to buy a "real" BOV. I have a dodge garage modded 1g BOV I will be putting on that are proven to hold 30+psi

What turbo are u running?

FP 3065...essentially a garrett 3082r with a 35r compressor wheel.