Remember 9/11 thread.

thorne

Wow a lot of places freaked out.

I was a senior in highschool. Drafting was 8-10am or so and I read a headline on a news website about a plane hitting the WTC. There wasn't any more info at the time which was just when the first plane struck. I mentioned it to those around me and I thought myself it was just an accident like the Cessna that hit the Empire State Building a few years before. Went to the next class (English) and a few other students/teachers spread the word. The teacher turned on the radio since there wasn't cable out into the modular classrooms. The rest of the day we went to our classes and watched the TV and a little lite discussion about it. The next day was about the same, just discussion / some TV and news. The third day was back to regular classes.

I remember thinking that we were watching something from a movie then it hit me that it was real. I still can't watch footage without it bring on an anxiety attack. I slept on my parents floor for at least a month because I didn't want to be away from my family. I will never forget that day. Thank you to all who serve this country.

Go ahead and bash me for liking soccer, but tonight at the US Men's National team game vs. Jamaica at Crew Stadium, 23,000 people sang the Star Spangled Banner in unison as loudly and proudly as possible. It was beautiful.

We are one nation under God*, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

*If that's your cup of tea. It's not mine, but I have enough respect to say the Pledge as it is written since the 1950s.

Wow! I feel old reading some of these responses....

I was in the military working at Columbus AFB RAPCON when I got a message over the printer saying to "stop all departures and land all aircraft immediately!" We called Memphis Center to see WTF was going on.

Soon after I walked through the break room and saw the second plane hit....

I'll never forget that day.

I still remember Memphis and Atlanta calling to ask if we had room to put aircraft on the military base...

Ive been at ground zero almost all day. The band I'm working with has a show tomorrow in lower manhattan. Lots of pubs full of off duty cops/firemen that were here that day. I made it a priority to shake as many hands as possible. Very sobering day to say the least.

I will make it my goal to visit the memorial one day in nyc.

As a youngin, I was in 8th grade when it happened and remember watching it on tv. I was one of the few kids that kinda understood something big was going on, I spent my recess in a class room just watching it.

I don't know why, but the whole event always hit me very hard. Just made me want to be a better person and not take my life for granted. I know it sounds lame to some people and cliche, but when I turned 19, I got a 9/11 never forget tattoo on my wrist so that I could make sure I never forget those who lost their lives.

Ive never really taken it lightly. A couple years ago at Halloween in ou. I had a guy bump into me dressed as one of the towers, complete with people dangling off of him. I lost it, I started yelling at him about it, he laughed it off and then I laid him on his ass. And for those who know me, I'm not a very violent person..Just some things aren't right. I defiantly won't forget 9/11

It was my first year teaching. I was barely beginning to even understand what I was doing as a teacher. The director came over the PA system and announced that a plane had hit the world trade center. My immediate thought was a small private pilot had screwed up. Then we started to hear more information. Since I've never had a TV in my lab we went to the cafeteria and watched for a while. We to saw the second plane hit. My students were pretty freaked out. For one of my guys it was his 18th birthday.

I was in the 8th grade in math class and like all the others there was an announcement over the PA stating what was going on and the teacher turned the tv on. The teacher was going histarical becuase one of her family members worked in or directly around the trade center but luckly had not gone to work that day.

I remember how eire it was outside, and every little noise I would hear I would think it was a plain and worry and I knew that all air traffic had been grounded.