Turbo ls1 Camaro oil drain location help

On3Performance

Im a little new to the ls1 stuff and was curious where the return fitting can go. I want to try the turbo out first and see if we have it high enough to not run a scavenge pump. Ideal placement for the return fitting in my case would be the driver-side of the pan. If anyone could shed some light on where I should put the fitting, it would be much appreciated

I have not had the pan off the car and just want to be sure there isnt any interference areas

depends what pan but fbody/truck/h3/autokraft pan pickup and sump is in the rear. The oil pump is crank driven off the timing chain so it goes pretty much center front of pan to the rear so either side of the oil pan towards the front tops of the rail would be fine.

Mine is passenger side -10 about 2-3 inches from the front corner. Not a single drainback problem. I just bought one of those CBR oil blocks for the feed and it is located above the oil filter where that factory cooler block is.

those CBR blocks are nice if you are going twins or mounting an aftermarket pressure gauge. I just ran a -4 to my turbo from there.

Like Dan said there isn't anything to interfere with since the oil pump is on the crank, and the pick-up tube runs slightly to the passenger side but not far from center. Driver's side would be ideal since there is an oil level sensor on the passenger side of most pans. I've even heard of people putting a drain in the lower corner of the front cover, though I've never seen it.

When u go into the pan if u drill and tap for an fittings tap it so a -10 return will fit 1/2"npt tap. Also drill directly below a side main cap bolt that will return the oil between the cranks throws and reduce windage. Also u should change the rod bolts so doing the drain then is very easy. Are u testing the truck mai kit.

Cool, with the amount of miles on this car, Im just not going to push it at all. So I dont plan on doing rod bolts even though I should. I might hit up a friend and see if he will do an upgraded oil pump in the car at least for me. I just have so much going on I just dont have the time to work on the car really. If I can get him to do that, I might do the rod bolts since it would be pretty easy

Then if we do that and the pan would be off, we will just weld in a fitting. I guess it comes down to if my friend has time to come over and do it for me

My upp kit has the oil return going through the crankcase cap.. But then again it came with the turbo werkx pump... I also have a high flow oil pump.. The faster you can get that oil moving the better btw I might have the stock ls2 oil pump laying around. Will trade for a case of beer

Looks like next week I have someone stopping over to do a pump and maybe rod bolts. I will certainly take you up on the offer for the pump. I have the turbo mounted on both of my kits really about as high as you can get it without moving the radiator. So I want to see if its going to be able to gravity drain good enough. I want to stay away from the pump if at all possible but worst case, I just have to put a scavenge pump on it

If I loosen the engine mounts and lift the engine a little, will I be able to pull the pan off without dropping the kmember again?

You're stuck pulling the k-member. You can't get the pick-up tube out of the way so you'd have to get as much clearence as the tube is deep, I think the tube is about 8 inches or so deep. If you find a way to sneak the pan out of there I'd love to know.

IMHO if your getting a new oil pump... Now would be a great time to upgrade your cam bolts to arp and do a double roller timing set.. I also Have a double roller set with less then 300miles I'll let go fairly cheap.. You can view it on Craigslist just search c6 parts.. I might have a few things that would interest ya

I think I should be fine with just the 2 bar sensor, Im going to leave the car very low boost just to drive around and try to keep it alive. So from my understanding I just need to pick up a cobalt ss sensor. It will see maybe 6psi off gate pressure and Im just going to leave it like that. I really just want to get it together to start getting miles on the setup.